Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet neck sizing
 Login/Join

posted
Can I readjust the FL sizing die to just neck size the hornet? Or???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure can. Use some black marker to color the case necks and run the die out...then adjust back down until you can see where the die is sizing down the neck to the beginning of the shoulder..then lock the die right there.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Woodrow S---Thanks a bunch. I couldn't convince myself why that wouldn't work. With the fragile Hornet case, would putting some lub on say every 5rh case do anything to help case life?

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I mean on the inside of the case as well as the outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walleye A couple comments regarding your questions. If you have your full length die adjusted properly it can be a nuisance re-adjusting it. If you go down to your local hardware store that sells electrical products, pick up a handfull of 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducing washers. They are made of approx .030" punched steel with a little bit of a shoulder on them. Thread your FL die into a reducing washer then screw it into your press. This holds your die away from touching your shell holder and effectively only neck sizes the cases.I f you want to FL size some cases simply take the washer off. As for lubing the cases. I use reg die lube on the outside and lube the inside of the case neck with powdered graphite. A little graphite in an old baby food jar and use a Q-tip. Stick the Q-tip into the graphite then into the case neck.Makes expanding the case necks real easy on the cases. Hope that helps

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Buy a 7/8 washer and toss it under your Hornet die

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The washer idea sounds great! I appreciate everyone's time and expertise! Will use the powdered graphite also. About every 10th case I have been putting some Hornady's One Shot lube on a Q-tip and putting that on the inside of the case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't use regular bolt washers as a spacer under the die as they are too thick and may vary a bit in thickness from side-to-side. Instead, get 7/8" machine bushings. These are made from harder steel and are a bit thinner and more consistent than a simple 7/8 inch washer and also have a smaller outside diameter which won't interfere with the adjacent die if you have a turret press.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote