New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman VLD inside chamfer tool
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought one of these, and it is a huge improvement over the standard 45 degree chamfer that the other tools use. I seated a bullet in a case that was chamfered with this tool, and one that was chamfered with a regular tool, then pulled the bullets. What a difference! The bullet that was seated in the case with the standard 45 degree chamfer had obvious marks and scrapes, but the bullet seated in the case with the VLD chamfer (22 degrees) had very little marking and looked like new. I think this will be especially helpful with using coated bullets (moly, Barnes XLC, etc.) so minimal amounts of the coating gets disturbed. I have to believe this will help accuracy as well. I think it is well worth the $7.00. Also, the tip comes off the tool and it can be used in the power deburring tools. I use mine in my RCBS Trimmate.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Just got one myself and used it on some cases
that already had been chamferred at 45
degrees. I certainly noticed a difference in
the amount of pressure it took to seat the
bullets.

I didn't pull any of the bullets, but thanks
for the confirmation.

--------------

------------------
I'm FOR PETA - People
Eating Tasty Animals!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Is the Lyman tool also acceptable for "benchrest" type reloading, or do the benchresters prefer other deburring tools?? I know K&N also makes tools like this - probably at a somewhat higher price??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ken, I agree that the Lyman VLD tool is just excellent.

I've taken the process one step farther though. Wrap some "0000 Steel Wool" around a Bore Brush. After "VLDing" the cases, remove the Carbide Cutter from the wooden handle and replace it with the 0000 Steel Wool/Bore Brush. Give a couple of twists in each casemouth and they are almost as slick as Lies falling off of Impeached-Clinton's lips.

You will get "Zero" nicks to the Bullet Base or to the MoS2 coating this way.

Sure is nice to have all these excellent tools available to us now days. I'd not want to be without a Lyman VLD tool.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
If you like the lyman get the k&m--you'll think you are in heaven. The k&m is simply a smoother tool. It virtually "polishes" the case mouth and with even less angle. I use the Lyman for my bigger than .30 cal cases but, IN ALL HONESTY there is no comparison between the two tools. For what they cost (almost nothing) and the fact they will last a lifetime, you will love having both sitting by your bench.