Find
Notify
Tools

Hack's Bullet Pusher - Squib remover
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hack's Bullet Pusher - Squib remover

This is for the reloaders who are not too shy to admit that, yes, they have screwed it and produced a squib while reloading.

Here is a pic of the Hack Bullet Pusher (HBP). As most of you know I love to reload. I have had the occasion to use it to remove a squib (a bullet that is fired, but doesn't exit the barrel and remains lodged inside) I put together. I later made a few squibs on purpose to test the HBP and it work fine. No more hammering on the rod in the barrel.

In the first pic, I have a brass rod in the muzzle of a G27 barrel as if a squib were lodged in it. It works good. Have never had to, but I suppose one could clamp the C-Clamp in a vice if you needed a free hand. I used it once at the range for a real squib. I have made several other squibs to test the HBP and it worked.

In the second pic, I show a number of brass rods I cut and polished for the variety of hand guns and different barrel lengths. The largest I have used it on is my Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ 7.5 inch barrel.

I bought the C-Clamp from Lowe's. I used JB Weld to stabilize the end of the c-clamp. Like I said, it allows me to push out the bullet without hammering on the rod in the barrel.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hack, I've not needed one(yet), but that is a fine looking idea. I can see where a longer Clamp could provide the same service for a rifle.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured some one would tell me to give up reloading if I had a need for the HBP. Actually, I've only used it once on a "real" squib. I did play around and make a few squibs just to see if it worked and it did. I just like the make things I may need once in a while and then share with others.

Now it sits in the drawer of my work bench, but I got it if the need ever arises.

I have not come across a C-Clamp long enough to do a rifle. May hae to resort to the old method of Hammer and brass rod.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hack, I have some Orange Clamps that would do for a rifle. One goes onto a piece of Threaded Pipe and the other end "floats" along the pipe to the point you need it. So, I could have one 10' long or longer with a pipe coupling. I've seen them for both 3/4" and 1" pipe.

They also have factory made furniture type 3'-6' clamps at Lowe's which would work with the Brass Rod.

I sure like it better than the Hammer idea.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Thanks for the tip on the furniture clamps at Lowe's. I'll check them out. A 3-ft one would do fine.

Hack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only problem with furniture clamps that Ive seen is they do not have that long vise type handle for tightening the clamp. They have that rounded wood handle that you can't get a good grip on.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I used a brass rod and hammer. My first batch of .45 ACP on a progressive taught me that a primmer will drive a lead bullet far enough into a barrel to chamber the next one. It cost me a match barrel for the lesson. The match barrel is used in a reloading class locally now.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
the only problem with furniture clamps that Ive seen is they do not have that long vise type handle for tightening the clamp. They have that rounded wood handle that you can't get a good grip on.
I agree the ones with the Round Wood Handles would not work for me.

The ones I'm thinking about are a bit different and have the Screw Tightening mechanism like in Hack's picture. They are built with a small " H-Beam", that the Clamps move along, with catch points along the inside of the Beam. The H-Beam is similar to a heavy truck jack, except for the compression clamps on it.