Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotshell Hulls
 Login/Join

posted
I am fairly new to reloading. I have loaded STS, but I also have inherited some Mirage T1, Federal Top Gun and Estate ECI hulls and can not find any reloading data in line for these. Can someone suggest where I can find information/reloading data for these hulls? Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Accurate Reloading.
I have never seen any of the hulls you mention in any reloading manual, and I don't even know what they are. I've been loading shotgun shells since 1960, when only paper hulls were available. Now, I use Win AA'a as I have about 5000 of them.
I would take a 1/4" wood dowel and measure the inside depth of the cases you have, then compare that depth to cases that are listed in current manuals, and use the correct wad accordingly.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why dont' you repost this under shotshell reloading and you might get some helpful resonses.

The Federal and Estate (now owned by the same company) non-target hulls are all pretty much the same. On the advice of others here at AR, I've loaded Estates (28 ga) with recipies for Federal field hulls and their performance is well within desired parameters.

Before proceeding, always cut open the hull in question to compare its internal construction with the known hull that you intend to use data for.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The Estate hull is either a Cheddite (the old ones), or a "Federal with paper basewad". Cut one open to see (if it has three stars on the head, it's an old Cheddite). The Top Gun is ALSO a Federal with paper basewad.

The Mirage hull is a standard Reifenhauser hull, and really not too great for reloading. If I recall correctly, they can be loaded with data for the Victory, Challenger or Cheddite data, but you'd have to REALLY need to. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Duth is right on with his info. The Federal top Gun hull is a poor one for reloading it has a paper base wad and if they become wet the hull is then of questionable quality. Some on other boards report base wads comming loose. I have gotten about 3 reloads out of them and use them for shoot and toss. Their is data under Federal Field or Hi- Power hulls, some uses Gold Medal data and report good results. Most likely the Estate hulls are the same as the Federal Top Guns as Federal bought Estate several years back. Section one to confirm. For the straight walled hulls you will need a wad that works well with them like the Fed 12S0, CB 3118AR - red, Down Range DRF3 etc.

The Mirage hull is a Chedite hull with thin plastic, don't bother unless you are desperate; about the only hull worse is the Winchester Universal. See if you can scrounge up any Remington Hull; Sport Loads, Game loads, Sure Shot, Gun Club, STS, Nitro etc. They all load with the STS hull data and Rem's promo hulls will easily get you 8 - 10 reloads. The Black Game Load hulls are prized among many.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Merry Christmas!