New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Preferences
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of the most common questions in the Reloading forum concern bullet selection. Here are the basic guidelines I use when choosing those first bullets to reload for a new rifle.

Target/Varmit Rifle:
Sierra Matchking
Nosler Ballistic tip.

IME these are the two most consistantly accurate factory bullets avaliable. Seldom IME have the Sierra's been outperm the match offering from Hornady, Nosler, and Speer match offering. On several occasions I've had the Nosler Ballistic tips outperform the Match Kings in rifles above .224 caliber, but for me, the Sierra's remain the undisputed king of the .224 barrel.

Hunting rifles, Muzzle velocity up to 3100 FPS.
The largest Nosler Ballistic Tip I can launch at or near 3000 FPS.
As mentioned above, the NBT is a very accurate bullet, but it does have it's limitations. It's deadly on game at impact velocites up to 3k fps, but above 3k it's structural integrety can be significantly compromised. So instead of launching a BT at 3200-3400, it's better to add some mass, bring down the velocity, and play to it's strengths.

Hunting rifles, Muzzle velocity above 3100 fps.
Nosler accubond. When compared to the BT, the accubond required one addtional step in the manufacturing process, soldering the core to the jacket. Consequently it' accuracy, although very good, may not be up to the level of the BT. Factoring in the additional cost, I chose these when I expect to need the additional bullet integrety. If the rifle doesn't like these, I will try the partition, but the partion is more complex design. Some rifles will prefer the partitions over the AB, but seldom will the PT shoot as well as the BT.

Rifles that don't like any of the above:
Spear flat base bullet.
Sometimes with a finicky rifle, you just need to try a simple elegant design with a minimum of things that could go wrong. You can't get any simplier then a cup-and-core, flat base design, and Spear's been doing it for a long time. If none of the above shoot, it might be time to call a smith.

Bulk Bullets:
Remington Core-lokt.
Not exactly a fancy high tech bullet, but they are reasonably priced, shoot well, and perform on game. It's a good classic standby bullet, and it never hurts to have a few thousand around.

Nosler Solid Base.
Nosler still makes the old Solid Base bullets from time to time, and allows other to sell them as a private label product. They sell the overruns through the Proshop allowing you to pick up a quality classic design at a megabargin price.

That's what works for me.
What works for you?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Berger & Sierra Bullets.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Added:
Berger 22 caliber 50 gn and 52 gn, both Match, and Varmint, bulets are shooting better than any I've tried in six different rifles.
Speer's TNT's are right up there with Bergers in 22 caliber accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I usually start with Sierra, Speer, or Hornady bullets that are supposed to be for the purpose I'm loading for. I'm sure I do this because these are generally less expensive than Berger, Barnes, Nosler, and etc. However, if I don't get the results I like, then I'll go to one of the more expensive bullets. I suppose economics plays a big role in my bullet choices.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me I usually start with Sierra's and/or BT. Once I know the rifle can shoot I will move to AB and Hornady Interbonds.

Basically Sierra's are my benchmark.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I like that list.

I used to load the Sierra HP Boatail Match grade .224 in a 52 grain bullet until the Nosler BT's came out and nudged the Sierra out of the starting lineup for a 22-250. I haven't loaded for the Matchkings in a long time but continue to hear good reports about them. (From those who are open to new ideas)

I've heard some interesting results of those Nosler BT's with regard to their ability to penetrate when velocity drops down to the 2300-2600 fps level. I think Seafire has done some research and experimentation in this area. What that says is that at extended ranges the performance of the NBT improves with regard to penetration, which is a concerned for the .224 bullet as the ranges are extended.

A couple of years ago I called up Nosler and asked for a recommendation in the .308 caliber for shooting elk with a .300 Win mag at long distances. The lad on the phone said that the Nosler Partition is their recommended bullet for elk hunting. I told him that my experience with the Partition was a little less in the accuracy department and penciling through on the performance of elk in the field. He then told me that his personal recommendation for my application would be the Nosler BT. But then he added the comment "They will be great for those longer shots where the velocity starts to drop down but don't call me if you shoot a cow elk in the shoulder at 50 yards!!" He went on to tell me about the difficulties of producing .308 caliber bullets to perform well in the field when they are shot out of a variety of calibers, at a variety of speeds, at a variety of game and a variety of distances. I got the point about the variety challenges they were facing and now appreciate their accomplishments in these current Nosler BT's.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Hunting bullets:

For 30 cal and under I start with SGKs or Rem CLs.

For 8mm and over I start with speer HCs or NPTs depending on the game.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's hunting bullets only. I only use a Sierra or Hornady to work up a load because they seem to be the least expensive, but most accurate bullets out there.
For hunting, it's NorthForks first and Partitions second. I find NF's slightly more accurate than Partitions, they don't lose as much weight and in my somewhat limited experience with them, mushroom perfectly.
I'm not bashing the Partition here it's just what I've seen.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote