New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Guy here (be gentle)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys, I'm new to reloading rifle and have a couple basic questions. (been loading pistol for a few years)
First, I have a Ruger #1 Hvy stainless/laminated varmint model in 22-250 Rem with a 6.5-20x44 Nikon on top. What kind of accuracy should I expect out of the box with factory loads?
I'm going to start loading 55gr nosler BT fairly soon and I read that H380 works very well with that bullet weight and making the OAL a little longer than listed max helps matters some. What OAL are you guys going to? I was playing with around with empty brass and a bullet and contacted the lands at 2.481. That seems extreme considering the listed max oal is 2.350.
Well, that's enough probing of your minds for now.

Thanks,
Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After a little reading, you can disregard the accuracy question... that's a box of worms that I don't want to open. Lot of opinions and experiences with them out there it seems.

Ruger#1

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You might find H-414 will work a little better than H-380 with the 55 grain bullet...I did...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above post, however, in my #1 H-380 works with a 50 grain v-max bullet pretty well. As far as the accuracy part I had to float the barrell and get the trigger pull lightened and smoothed up before I got any degree of consistancy.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing references to shimming the forend to achieve the barrel float. Someone even said that the shimming was an easy fix that even I with 3 thumbs and 4 left feet could achieve. Anyone got a link to some detailed instructions? I have access to good peelable shim stock at work. (keep that between you and me LOL)

Ruger#1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what tist you have in the Rugher but if it's 1-14" some 55gr boat tails may be fussey. Sierra tec told me I my have problums in my remington 700 with their 55gr blitzkings so you may want to look for that if you are haveing any problums. I just started reloading for my 22-250 and am useing Reloader 15 with 50gr Sierra 35.6 gr of powder & getting good results. This load is also working in a savage my friend has booth guns hanging around .5 & slightly under. My friend is also getting good results from Varget not sure of the load but thies would be good powders to look at Varget might be better with 55gr if thats what your looking for. Good luck and have fun with it I do.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger1, In my Remington 700 .22-250 using 55 gr. Nosler BT I have to seat at 2.514 to touch the rifling. So as you can see each rifle is a law onto itself

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm settling on a load right now with my 22-250 M70 Stealth. Mine likes 38.5gr H380 and the 50gr Hornady V-Max. My OAL is 2.470 (2.480 touches on mine). If you know someone with a Stoney Point OAL gauge, that is the most accurate way measure it. Most guns, not all, usually shoot well with the bullet about 0.01 off the lands. You'll just have to play with yours to see what it likes, but it's a good starting point.

The 55gr Sierra Blitzkings didn't shoot well in my gun, which has a 1 in 14 twist. I haven't tried the 50gr Blitzkings yet, but expect I would have no problem with them. If you have a 1-14 twist, I would recommend starting with a 50gr bullet. Then, if you desire to go heavier, try the 55's.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think you have to tuch the lands or even be close to make it shoot. I am getting .4-.6 groups seating 2.360 that just over max in the load books. Barnes recmends starting their bullett .050 off the lands. One thing to remember you need consistant start pressure that is obtained in two ways enough bullet in the case or bullett close to lands. With factory guns sometimes getting to lands leaves no bullett in the case. I am no expert but from reading post on this foram and experance this is what I have figured out. So if I can make it shoot without moveing the bullett out I just stay their and forget the lands. Just my .02cents

[ 03-10-2003, 05:20: Message edited by: BossMoss ]

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think BossMoss meant to say:

...seat the bullet .050 from the lands..

[ 03-10-2003, 04:08: Message edited by: onefunzr2 ]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks onefunzer2. I went back and fixed it. BossMoss

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1,
I purchased a #1 in 7mm STW almost two years ago. I have recounted the trials of accurizing it before on the shooting forums. For now it will suffice to say that out of the box it shot four inch and larger groups at 100 yards. I removed nearly 1/8 inch of wood from the barrel channel with the dremel tool to fully float the barrel, and had the trigger tuned. This rifle now shoots inside one moa at 100 yd. My Ruger was equiped with a magnum sporter wieght barrel as apposed to your varmint wieght.
I have read many places that some #1's are extremely accurate from the factory and some need a little tuning. I hope you got lucky and purchased one of the former.
My experience with the 22-250 indicates that it is very forgiving as to powder and bullet selection. I have had two rifles in this chambering, both shot the Hornady 60 gr spire point over 34.3 gr of IMR3031 very accurately. My 26 inch Savage 112 Varmint wieght gives 3610 fps with this load. According to the charts which I have access to, both of my 22-250's should be 1 in 14 inch twist barrels and they do shoot this 60 gr bullet very well. Now that the 60 gr polymer tip bullets are available, I have tried them in the Savage. It will not stabilize this longer style of bullet.
I have also shot 55 gr spitzers at 3800 fps over H380 and H4895 as a trial. The lighter bullets just have not pleased me as much as the 60 gr bullet.
Good Luck with your new rifle, I hope it works out well for you.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input all, Looks like my rifle is going in for a trigger/barrel float job next week.
I hope it stabilizes those 55 gr bullets I just bought. If not, so be it... I can push 40 or 50 grainers faster anyway.

Ruger#1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra 55 gr HPBT over 35.5 Varget gets me where I want to go.COL is 2.490 to touch.This is
on a Browning A-bolt.