New
Find
Notify
Tools

219 Donalson Wasp-case forming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, all you experts. I couldn't decide which section to post this under.

I have one and make cases from .225 Win brass, but it's getting expensive and hard to get. Short version.

I want to go to the 30-30 family and alter the bolt face (original reason for going with the 225 was to leave the bolt face alone.

I have Redding form dies for both long and short versions. Now the problem. I can make long versions with either new or once fired.
However, in making the "short" version, about 50% of the new cases crumple or wrinkle just behind the shoulder. Once fired not so much loss.

It appears the 30-30 cases are enough smaller than 219 Wasp and the sidewall isn't fully supported. Whereas the 225s are a touch bigger and heavier than the 30-30s.

I use the Imperial wax for lube.

Do any of the posters make .219s? Or any idea what is wrong or what I am doing wrong?

I plan to call Redding tomorrow

Thanks

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a seet of redding dies, but they were half way between sizes. when i called redding they said that wasn't possible that i must be a D.S., so i bought some rcbs and had much better success. lots of trimming involved but you know that already. loading dies are hard to find- backordered lots. question - why the shot version??

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I had three sets plus a hollywood full length of loading dies and they were all the short version. At that time I thought the only variation between the two versions was neck length. When the RCBS neck reamer die came it matched. matched the chamber, so away I went.
Maybe the easy way out is to chamber for the long versions and back the FL die and SD off and go
But I am sure there is a way to make the short version as the cartridge has been around for decades

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cannot get it to take an edit. Th FL sets are RCBS, Pacific & Herters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi-- I bought a 3 die forming set from R C B S
That solved the problem
It sizes the case down in gentile steps
Sydney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sydney:
Hi-- I bought a 3 die forming set from R C B S
That solved the problem
It sizes the case down in gentile steps
Sydney[/QUOTE

Are you doing short or long version?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some more work this afternoon with the new 30-30s
In place of the Redding trim die for the final pass, I used my Hollywood FL die and it worked well. (it is the smallest 219 die I have and it appears to support the sidewall enough to prevent the wrinkles) when making the short version. Then go to the Redding form-trim die to cut the case and all seems well. More cases will tell if this is a solution as I only did 8.
However you cut it the loong version is less work!

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pain in the azz isn't it Whistling

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi--I have both long and short-the dies are stubby dies--they don t size the body--
They size the neck and push the shoulder back
They work well
Sydney