New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .30-06 Maximum Average Pressure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The pressure difference is NOT due to old "service" rifles, but because Winchester chambered the origional M-95 lever action in 30-06 (OK so it was actualy chambered for the 30-03, but the -06 case is the same except for the extra 1mm of neck length).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elkhntr,

That 4% increase in pressure amounts to a whopping 1.5% to 2% increase in muzzle velocity. If you want more velocity get a magnum. In reality though that extra velocity is a WASTE for MOST hunting scenarios.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk, in my early days, when I thought I knew more than the guys who wrote the load books, I used to push loads up over max in my 30/06. I never got into trouble, although I did pop some primers out now and then. (Which ain't good)

And I was shooting the old Eddystone, which is one of the strongest actions around.

AND, generally I stuck with the slow powders, which are hard to get enough in the case to shuck you out...probably.

If you've got a good strong bolt, I suspect you can tip toe over the line with an /06. As with everything, just work up cautiously and back away at the FIRST sigh of pressure.

The question is will another 50 or 60 fps mean anything?

Eventually, I think most loaders go pretty much by the book and are content. I've long since grown out of the ultimate velocity freak I once was. Those extra few feet per second never made anyone a better hunter or a game animal any deader. But they can sure ruin some brass and help you go thru a can of expensive powder quicker. JMHO

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking through my Speer reloading manual today and I noticed that the 30-06 has a max avg press of 50,000 CUP. The 270 Win has a MAP of 52,000. These cartridges have very similar cases etc.. I realize that the limit on the .30-06 was probably put in place because of the number of older service rifles around that might not be able to handle the pressure, but it still seems like they could sell higher pressure ammo to work in todays guns similar to the .38 Special and .38 Special +P loads. I'm sure that liability issues will keep it from happening, but I still hae to wonder how much difference this would make in the performance of the .30-06. The pressure increase is about 4%. This could make up to 100 fps difference (if it's 100% efficient).

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote