New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive press recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in buying a progessive press (been spending WAY too much time lurching over my rock chucker) What i'm really interested in is a press that will put out about 300-400 rounds an hour and is easily changed from caliber to caliber. I know alot of guys swear by their Dillons but many complain about the changeover time. I've been hearing alot of good things about RCBS's pro 2000 so if anyone has any expirence with it, i'd like to know. Thanks, John

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe dollar for dollar the Hornady is hard to beat.
My Hornady Projector compared to my Dillon 650, they both have a lifetime warranty, the Hornady has way fewer small parts as well as fewer parts overall.
Here is a link to check out

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~rtompkin/hornady/blue.php

Also on Hornady's website there is a comparison chart
https://www.hornady.com/

Posts: 903 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be prepared this subject can get like discussing politics

Posts: 903 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Hornady LNL AP, with the case feeder. Turns out 450-475 per hour at a comfortable pace in pistol calibers. I had to play with the ejector wire and turn a little off the OD. on my Lee factory crimp dies since they go below the top surface of the Hornady shellplate.

Total cost on setting up for all the calibers I reload was the deciding factor on the Hornady.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a lee loadmaster (DO NOT GET ONE,you'll pull your hair out) and an older Hornady Pro-Jector. I got the Pro-Jector at a gun show with some parts missing but Hornady sent new parts at no cost. I would recomend the Hornady. I use Lee RCBS and Hornady dies in mine as long as the dies are adjusted right and you use the right shell plate you can expect 350-400 rounds per hr. without the shell feeder. hpoe this helps....lost

Posts: 11 | Location: N.C. | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For pistol caliber stuff the Dillon Square deal B is great !
Auto index, good powder measure.
Not easy to change calibers as some, won't do rifle caliber stuff, only takes Dillon dies.
I leave mine set up for 45acp, love it !

I still use a rockchucker for rifle though, I can't figure out how some people load ammo without at least checking the case length after sizing...
If I have to at least check case length after sizing I am not far from single stage operation anyway...

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Dillon. I used a RL-550B for years to load 9mm, 38 Sp., .357 mag. 44 Mag and .223 Rem. The changeover wasn't that bad, I had seperate toolheads for each caliber with preadjusted dies on it. If I had more money, I would have had complete toolheads including powder measures for each caliber and changeovers could have been a snap. Of course they are most efficient when you settle on a single load for each caliber, and simply load the same one in each caliber.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My bench sports two Dillan 550 and a Dillan 650 with case feeder. It also sports a Hornady Lock and Losd AP that I have set up for .44 magnum.

All these presses take a little time to get used to and you have to "tweak" a bit but once that Hornady Lock and load is clicking it's slicker than anything I've ever used. I'm not going to say it's the best in the business but it's the best thing to come out of Grand Island since I-80!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon.

I had an RCBS progressive and it was the most expensive useless piece of junk that I've ever bought for reloading. I use other RCBS tools extensively but their progressives are absolute junk.
I've had decent luck with some Hornady reloading products and their progressive may be OK but I would always worry that they would be like RCBS and change it somehow and not support the older ones.
Dillon is THE progressive press for Metallic reloading everything else is second best. Since progressives are their speciality they will continue to support even their older machines. I think if you buy anything but a Dillon you'll later wish you'd had. And no I don't work for Dillon, I'm just trying to save you from making a couple hundred dollar and hours of frustration mistake like I did. Buy a Dillon............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon.

All I can add to that is Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon, Buy Dillon

I have a 650 and do annual runs for my commonly used calibers. You won't ever be sorry

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Our shop sells Dillon; while I don't have experience with the Hornady Progressive, I can attest to the the value of the Dillon 550 and 650 series. We have never had a customer complaint once the primer feed/setup is mastered.

Taking lots of time and including picking primers my 550 cranks 400rds an hour of 45ACP and 45 Colt. I have the spare toolhead with powder measure and changeout is an easy five minute process. While other manufacturer's dies can be used with this Dillon series, the Dillon dies have some features that warrant their useage.

My biggest regret is not getting one sooner.

Posts: 64 | Location: AZ, Maricopa, Phoenix | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw,
I've used the Dillon 550, 650, and 1050 extensively over the years, however, for my purposes I prefer the RCBS 2000. It's a lot of press for the money. That said you'll fight an uphill PR battle against the folks in blue...(grin)

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote