New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 load for multiple rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a load that will function and is safe and reasonably accurate for multiple 308 rifles. Basically I am looking for a nice factory load that will work in any and all 308 rifles. I have been told that a 168gr BTJHP 41.4 grains of IMR4895 is very accurate in a M1A. I will be shooting this load in an M1A, a 308 bolt rifle with a match chamber and I am not sure what else.

My question is it safe in any and all rifles? I have a couple of reloading books. Most of them say this is a safe load. One of them says that this is a max load. I am thinking that this is a safe load, but�..?

I wish I had a chance to work up the load for each rifle, but that is not going to happen here.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I do with a question like yours is call Sierra Bullets. They may not have the "best" answer but they are a great place to start! 800-223-8799

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR's web site list 43.3grs with a 165 hpbt at 59,000psi. I think that the 41.4 load is a reasonably mild one. If you have a load for your M-1a that works it should be OK for your bolt gun. A load for your Bolt gun may or may not be as suitable for the M-1a. Sometimes Gas guns are picky about powder burning rates and IMR-4895 is probably the M-1A and M-1 Garand all time favorite.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years 41.5 gr of 4895 and the 168 MK or 173 match bullet was loaded in 308 match or special ball. This is a great load, however I believe with the range of rifles you mention that I-4064 or H-4895 may be better powders. Varget could also be your powder of choice, but it will take a bit of work to determine what functions best on average. I've loaded many 308 rounds and my bet would be on 4064

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load for your M1-A, the others will do fine with it as well. Varget is my go to .308 powder since the temperatures where I live range from -10 F to +115 F. I will send you the charge weights when I get home tomorrow. Lapua brass is of course the best, but I have been satisfied with WW as well.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ddunn
I have a load that I have been using for over 27 years.
There are a lot of newer powders on the market, but this load has shot very well in every 308 rifle I [or my friends] have tried it in. This includes M1 Garands, M1A's, from super match to rack grade, H&K 91"s, FN-FAL's, H&K 770's, Savage lever actions, Bolt rifles from huntign rifles to Sniper Rifles, to Palma and 1000 yd Any-Any rifles.
In either military or Federal Match cases, with CCI or Federal Primers, 39.5 grains of IMR 3031 and a 168 grain Sierra Matchking OR for hunting the Sierra 165 HPBT Gameking, 165 Nosler Partition, or the 165 gr Ballistic tip. This load shoots extremly well even at long range out of a good rifle. I have used it in various competitions and killed a lot of game with it too.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote