THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Santa brought me an RCBS hand priming tool.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Santa brought me an RCBS hand priming tool.

My son gave me an RCBS hand priming tool for Christmas. This thing is neat.

Here's a youtube video of one in action. Mine is just like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXWi0ZtBoYs

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a lee hand prime tool back when I was very new about 4 years back. I wish I thought of RCBS not LEE. That looks like its a much better rig then the lee one could ever dream to be. lol
Congrats shoot true and good luck!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for stubborn primer pockets that I had trouble with on my press, now I hand prime all my brass, I love the thing.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I usually do my lots of brass in 50 to 100. So you will find your hand and forearm gets tired and or sore. I m looking for a faster method to prime. I usually do my reloading in a 2 night process. Due to the case prep work I do. I cannot afford the automated rigs. Although I use Lyman prep tools, I found they have a cheap(er) hand crank set up.
http://www.midsouthshooterssup...asp?sku=000157777793

I m a RCBS guy, but I m also on a fixed income from the VA. So I m becoming a Lyman guy. I m also finding that there equipment seems to fit my style more then RCBS. But for a lot of other things I do I have to look for else where. Out of luck RCBS has a wicked gage I m liking the looks of. Not because of the name but it dose all 3 functions I m in need of doing to tighten my groups. Called "The Master Gauging Tool".
http://www.midsouthshooterssup...m.asp?sku=0004487310

Unless someone can show me something that dose the same or more for the same price or better I would be more then happy to jump on it!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

I use this version of the RCBS hand priming tool.

It has a Universal shell holder.

That's right. NO changing shellholders. EVER.

This is the way to go. You will forget all
about the price after you use it. In fact I
have two. One set up for large primers and
one set up for small primers. Worth every
cent I paid for them.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037484216103a.shtml

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Yes I saw the first post which I saw how much better it is then the lee one i have. Maybe I just need a case prep station! Because it take all dang night to get my cases ready to load. When you made your post reminded me I should stick that on my wish lest and see when I can come up with the cash to grab up a case prep station! Even if its the hand crank station. Now if I was rich I would get the new one from Hornady!
Its the new Lock-N-Load Power Case Prep Center.
Its on top of this list in the link I m sending.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?...b02ac7e10ac73321c437

The Fallowing tool would be wicked too! But I just wish I had the cash to invest in such tools. But I ll deal with what I can get at the times and places I can.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:

I just sat down to sorting and dealing with some dead guy's reloading stuff.
1500 pieces of AR15 fired .223 brass that needs to be processed.

I mounted his Forster case trimmer like a coffee grinder on a board screwed to a board that is clamped to my bench.

I put a huge foam covered handle over the knob.

It is nice to see that Hornady thinks like meSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...hand and forearm gets tired and or sore.....

Unless someone can show me something that does the same or more for the same price or better, I would be more than happy to jump on it!

James,
Many tools can be mounted in an electric drill or screwriver; the WalMart cheapy is popular for this purpose. The Lee shellholder and lock stud for their trimmer can be used to lock brass into a chuck. You don't have spend a lot of money on a Prep Center to do a first-rate job easily. Sinclair has a lot of nice (and costly) equipment in their catalog, but you can get good ideas from it; they'll be happy to send you a copy for the price of an e-mail.

The link below will provide a discussion of the RCBS Case Master:

www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/po...mbr/vpost?id=3189043

In the end, rolling your ammo across a flat surface (glass) may tell you all you need to know about it.

A ball micrometer is the best tool for measuring case neck wall-thickness. Graf has one for around $25. There are other sources.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've used both the RCBS & Lee hand primers a lot & both work just fine.
The RCBS is more comfortable & less fatiguing when seating several hundred primers though, possibly due to the larger body.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Now I was looking at the Lyman hand crank prep tool. I already have a lot of cords running from here and there. So I was thinking to save space, my neck, and my sanity I d go with the hand crank.

If I head in to town today I ll have to call Jim and see if he is open today."Jims Gun Shop"
I can usurly I can talk him down a few dollars. Thanks for the tip on the RCBS hand primer! Greatly Appreciated! It will save time from the press primer unlss the attachment is cheaper....

PS I have a tendency to ramble, and as I get tired it gets worse!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Picture of RustyNut
posted Hide Post
I've had both the Lee and a RCBS. The Lee wasn't a bad primer for the price but I did sell it when I bought the RCBS. If you have a lot of brass to prime and you have the money get a bench mounted primer. Once you get in the rhythm it is much faster.

So is the guy in the film left handed or have I been holding my tool the wrong way?

Posts: 24 | Location: MN | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can do a ton of stuff fast with an electric drill and the lee universal shell chuck that they use on their little pull cord trimmer.
I rarely use my vibratory cleaner any more nor do I use my electric trim pro from rcbs.
JUst chuck a case into the drill...spin some polish on it..then hold a rag against it. Trimming is super fast and accurate with the cheap lee trim gauge. From there you can chamfer and clean out the case neck area with a bore brush. I think if you go to lee.com they have a video of the little pull cord tool they offer.....now just use your imagination and put an electric drill in the place of the pull cord deal.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
After almost taking my face off when I first started with reloading? I v never bought anything from lee again. I started with there anniversary kit. What a joke. The scale never stayed zeroed! It gave improper measurements. I went and replaced 95-98% of all that junk they sent me. So it is said it only takes one. This applies for me with lee. no offense to lee brand guys. That is just my experience with them, just was no fun.
After switching to the 5-0-5 scale from rcbs my reloading has improved. I have been able to produce ammo better then the stuff on the shelf. (it could still improve) The things I have kept from the kit are the press and the hand priming tool. But the press now is collecting dust and may get sold or kept for a rainy day... ...

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strictly staying on the topic of the hand primers I have K&M Service, 8 of the old Lee screw in shell holder type and the 4 of Lee snap in shell holder type 2 with and 2 with out the primer feed tray.
After using some of these for nearly 40 years I have no idea why anyone uses a press for priming.

I have yet to try the RCBS version but will probably try it when I run across a good deal on one.
I use the hand tools strictly for convenience and precision. Speed and reloading to not go together for me.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
quote:

I just sat down to sorting and dealing with some dead guy's reloading stuff.
1500 pieces of AR15 fired .223 brass that needs to be processed.

I mounted his Forster case trimmer like a coffee grinder on a board screwed to a board that is clamped to my bench.

I put a huge foam covered handle over the knob.

It is nice to see that Hornady thinks like meSmiler

I have used the Forster trimmer like that.
The Forester trimmer shank is threaded 5/16-24 and a carburetor stud nut is a correct fit. Then I use a 1/2" nut driver in my right angle Makita drill to trim large quantities of brass without fatigue.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James....I can understand your feelings but would tell you that even a "blind squirrel finds a nut" and even a company that we might not like can come up with some clever tools once in a while.
I'm not much of a Lee fan in general because they try to offer everything at a low price and
we usually get what we pay for in the reloading game. I do love their collet dies also.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Oh I understand, I do use a lee bottom poor furnace for casting.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
James....I can understand your feelings but would tell you that even a "blind squirrel finds a nut" and even a company that we might not like can come up with some clever tools once in a while.
I'm not much of a Lee fan in general because they try to offer everything at a low price and
we usually get what we pay for in the reloading game. I do love their collet dies also.

I like their primer pocket cleaner. I find that their pieces having the fewest moving parts work better than those that don't.