THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Report on powder & reloading supplies & others at gun show

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report on powder & reloading supplies & others at gun show
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to a gun show a week or so ago. I was hoping to find powder but was disappointed. Seems like every 8th to 10th booth had primers, priced at $30.00/thousand including NC's 7% sales tax. Looks like primer supply has caught up with demand.

A very limited supply of powder was offered. What was offered was in large quantities and high priced. Example; eight pounds of Little Gun was $200.00. Natchez has it priced at $132.00 when it is available. No common powders like Varget in any size. There was a few odd-ball powders in 1-2 pound containers offered, probably left over from 2-3 years ago.

One table had a guy selling range pickup from a Police Department, most likely once fired. I bought 100 .45 ACP large primer brass for $7.00 including tax.

There was plenty of stock on all types of guns, especially handguns and AR types. I live in North Carolina. NC has been pretty open minded (rational) as far as gun laws are concerned. I'm sure Obama would be ringing his hands at the displays I saw. 50 cal & 338 Lapua and 300 Win mag of various brands were well represented. One table that caught my eye was most all of the products made by Barrett. The Barrett single shot, bolt action 50 cal was going for mid-three thousand. The 50 cal auto loader with a magazine was priced at an asking price of $12,000.00, all were new. I don't know if this was a reasonable price or not since I'm not in the market for this type of gun.

I bought a couple boxes of Remington 110 gr 300 Blackout for $20.00, including sales tax. .223 PMC FMJ boxes of 1,000 were priced at $385.00, including sales tax and several sellers had reasonable stock. I hope all those buyers last year paying over $900.00 a thousand plus tax that were in panic buying mode enjoy their ammo.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locally I have seen a little bit of IMR4227 here, a little bit of Titegroup there, a little bit of WW748 over yonder. Powder Valley has one or two powders in stock, often odd ball stuff like RL50. I bought some RL17 recently and some IMR4007SSC which I had never even heard of previously. IMR seems to think it is pretty neat stuff, worth a try. Seems like supplies are slowly, slowly coming back.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the gun show in Charlotte, NC a couple of weekends ago and there seemed to be quite a bit of powder. I bought 8lbs of CFE223 for $164 including sales tax. A dealer there told me that the plant that produced H335 and Varget had burned down so it would probably be a while before we saw much of those. I also bought a case of PMC Bronze Point 223's for a friend of mine and paid $370 including tax. There were some with higher prices there, but I found what I was looking for.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I am seeing things are catching up.

Except for 22lr still hard to find.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would-be ammunition hoarder/profiteers (people who would meet the delivery truck at the retailer at 7 AM in the morning in order to buy whatever came off of it) are increasingly finding themselves stuck with supplies they should have sold weeks ago. No one is biting on their offers of $50/carton .22 LR. Everyone who was willing to pay an exorbitant price for ammunition-related products already has had the opportunity to pay such a price.

When shortages end they quickly turn into surpluses. Having seen three or four of these cycles in my 45 year handloading career I'm quite confident that somewhat cheaper prices will be common in the future.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the Seattle area gun show prices are still sky high. Can't buy powder at the show due to fire department regulations. A brick of 22 Long Rifle is offered at $80. $50 to $60 for a carton of rifle/pistol primers. Lead pistol bullets have dried up; some jacketed bullets are available but are very expensive. No lead shot available at any price and shotshell primers are almost unavailable. No sign of anything changing price-wise anytime soon.