New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quietest .22 rimfire?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently doing some backyard target practice with an airgun but would like to do so with a .22 rimfire. Which .22 provides the mildest report? Is it the .22 CB? Would it be any louder than my airgun? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aquilla of Mexico makes a primer-powered .22 cap. It yields something like 300 fps I think, and is quieter than my RWS pellet gun. Obviously, it won't operate an automatic action. I don't think I've seen them on any dealer shelves, but if you'll go to the gun show in Austin this coming weekend, you can probably find them there.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks StoneCreek. I am going to the show, so I will look for them. How is the accuracy for backyard paper punching? I use a very old Marlin .22 bolt action that I bought from some guy for $25. I am amazed that it shoots extremely small groups (1 ragged hole)at 50 yards. Will guns designed for short, long and LR rounds accept these short rounds?

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
StoneCreek - I checked Agulia's website. They recommend not using primer powered rounds in a rifle due to bullets sticking in the barrel. What is your experience? Is this legal mumbo jumbo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hummm... I can't recall any such warning on the box, but I can understand how the little pills might not always make it out of a longer rifle barrel, although I've never had this happen. I would say that there's no real safety issue here, just the potential to screw up your barrel. And with the very, very low pressure and velocity, I suspect that even if one stuck in the barrel and another was fired behind it that there would be no actual damage to the riflings -- just take a rod and punch the little bullet out of the bore. On the other hand, if you stuck one then fired a regular LR behind it, you would probably "ring" your barrel.

My suggestion would be to just pay attention and check the bore at the end of your shooting session. Cutting the barrel of your $25 Marlin back to the legal minimum of 16" would probably solve any potential problem, also.

As far as feeding, I suspect that you'll have to single-feed these, even in your bolt action.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I use Federal CB Longs in my 22 rifles when noise and discretion are factors. They sound about like a pellet rife, are very accurate and pack quite a punch on backyard squirrels.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
Remington Sub-Sonics work well for me
sub-moa @100yds when the wind is quite

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

<Cobalt>
posted
I have had the Agulia's stick in the bbl of my HB CZ. The CB's work great and are no louder that my pellet rifle. Cobalt

<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
CCI makes a CB cap loaded in a Long Rifle case that has worked well for me. The LR case makes it a little easier to hand feed into the chamber. Should be plenty quiet, and these are usually not too hard to find in stores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CCI CB long is less than 600 fps. Real quiet and accurate.

Scot

quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Fisherman:
CCI makes a CB cap loaded in a Long Rifle case that has worked well for me. The LR case makes it a little easier to hand feed into the chamber. Should be plenty quiet, and these are usually not too hard to find in stores.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Y'all. I am going to try the new Aguila Super Colibri. It is a primer powered 20 gr. round at 500 FPS that I am told should not stick in the rifle barrel. The original Colibri at 375 fps is more likely to stick in the barrel. It is on sale now at Cheaper than Dirt. I will try it and let you know what I find. Thanks again for the info.

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
We have a Long Z cartridge (Winchester?) It gives less report than my airgun and is of Long rifle size. I use it for this same reason.
Has a bright yellow packaging

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Ken Tuk Hunter is right. The .22CB cap is real quiet in a 24" barrel, quieter than most good pellet rifles. Use the long version, it feeds from the magazine just fine. The only problem Iv'e had with them is that they do bounce off hard objects. Have one rifle that thinks they are benchrest bullets(CCI) another is only so/so. Try them.