Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 special question
 Login/Join

posted
Got the Dillon set up for 38 special to load some Remington 125Gn SJHp. they are copper 3/4 way up and wavy at top of copper, so I guess SJHP. With no Remington load data, I looked in Hornady book bullet #35710 125 gn HP-XTP calls for Bullseye 4.5 to 5.3 GN

I happened to look in LYman book and Hornady JHP #35710 calls for 3.2 to 4.4 Bullseye. its the same number bullet but has diff description. what should I use. Thanks

Posts: 8 | Location: WV | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tha Alliant guide I have says 4.4 grains of Bullseye is max for standard 38 special. It shows 4.8 grains IF you are talking +P in 38 special. I would go with the Alliant guide, or the Lyman book since they match.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3.2 gr of bullseye makes a nice comfortable load for 38 spl.. i use homecast 150 gr swcs and get right at the prescribed velocity...... i would not do any 4+ gr loads in that caliber... i use 6.2 gr bullseye with the same bullet in .357 magnum and get right at 1230-1235 fps with my 6" s&w model 27-2..... be careful when useing bullseye a little goes a long ways..........

life is short.....

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, really are big help. I"m just trying to be cautious.

Posts: 8 | Location: WV | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a really good bullet I have shot a lot of them. They work very well.

When I don't have the exact data on a bullet I look at the load data for 4 or 5 differants ones of the same weight and style pick the middle of the data and go from there.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
They are a really good bullet I have shot a lot of them. They work very well.

When I don't have the exact data on a bullet I look at the load data for 4 or 5 differants ones of the same weight and style pick the middle of the data and go from there.
tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In ALL cases, I always check AT LEAST two sources for independent loading data and ALWAYS start with the LOWEST starting load.
Twice in 40 years I have had a starting load in one manual be obviously max or over max in MY gun.
ALL reloading manuals ONLY show you what they got with their specific lot of components and their gun. Your components and gun are different.
If I start to load up near max or think I am, I shoot a factory round of the same bullet weight and compare recoil. For semi-autos, I also compare the distance the cases are thrown. Then there is case expansion and, sometimes, primer appearance.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote