New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Between powder selection and bullet seating depth, "generally" which of these two components has the bigger impact on accuracy in any particular rifle? Along with that question if you were working up a hunting load that provided the best possible accuracy for your rifle and you wanted to choose one powder and then experiment with bullet seating depths what would be the best way to choose that one powder?

Posts: 29 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 01 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that one selection, powder or bullet seating depth, can be given an advantage over the other. In my experience it depends on the rifle, others may have a different experience.

Regarding powder choice I would choose the one that gives the highest percentage of case fill at the lowest pressure and gives the highest velocity.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When reloading for a purpose, I choose the bullet first then I look at the load data to find the highest velocity that runs about 90-100% of case volume. Then I look in my powder cabinet to see what appropriate powders I already have and start with that.

Then I start shooting for groups. I usually start .010" off the lands (.050" for Barnes) if the magazine will let me. Once I find an accurate powder load, I start moving the seating depth to fine tune it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12691 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Frank.

After bullet selection, pick a powder. Go to the Sierra manual first. They recommend best powders for accuracy and hunting, often the same with a little difference in charge weight. To make the charge testing more efficient use either the Tubb ladder or Optimal Charge Weight system. You can Google 'em.

Seating depth either makes a big difference or it doesn't. (That's helpful, isn't it?) Some rifles are fussy, some not. Start close to the lands, maybe .010 off, as suggested.

To assure that your testing is effective brush up on your bench technique. No sense wasting powder and shot.

If you hit a snag, post again.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rushisright, No shortcuts here. The bane and beauty of reloading is working to customize the load for your specific rifle and target. Otherwise, why just not shoot factory ammunition? It's very good and does not cost THAT much more than quality reloads.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1110 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bullet seating depth; no question. Then powder, but sometimes it is opposite. Maybe. Try it and see, for your rifle; that is the only way. No one can answer for your rifle.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have found that the first variable is the bullet. Some bullets never shoot good groups in a particular rifle irrespective of the case, powder, primer or seating depth.

Once I am comfortable that the bullet will do say 2 inches minimum with the first reload, I might change the case brand from Norma to Winchester etc.

In my experience any bullet that gives a 2.5 to 3 inch group with the first try never improves to a 1 inch group.

I tend to limit the number of powders tried to 2 or 3 at the most - doing a lot research first before making the choice. I do not have the time or motivation anymore to experiment for the sake of experimenting!

Usually by the 3rd or 4th load I have a 1.5 inch group and velocity near the targeted level. Then it is fine tuning - adjust powder charge, seating depth, neck sizing, change primer, etc.

For hunting loads I do not worry too much about seating depth - standard rule is 0.020 to 0.030 inch off the lands for all hunting loads. Exception is Barnes monometal bullets - 0.050 inch off lands.

Most of my rifles shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups with this method and occasionally I get lucky and even get 0.5 inches for 5 shots. 3 shots groups of 1 inch are common. Any aberration is fixed by changing the bullet for that particular rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11195 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote