New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 Buffalo Classic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am preparing to load a buffalo classic and any tested loads for accuracy and pressure would be appreciated. I have no idea on the pressure rating for this firearm. I guess I will have to call H&R. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You should assume it is proofed for Level 1/Trapdoor Springfield loads until you have something in writing from the manufacturer.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I stole this from: http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum5/3168.html

If you go to the link there are several links within this article

I'm going to step in here on this one since I have owned quite a few of the Buffalo Classic's and even had the Buffalo Classic Shooting Society or more commonly known as The BCSS at one point. I developed the very first website for just the Buffalo Classic in 45-70 and the Target Model in 38-55 in 1996. There is quite the following or was on the Graybeards Outdoors Forum.

The Buffalo Classic is on a very modern SB-2 frame and is fully capable of using Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammunition.. yes you heard me right. This includes ALL Ruger #1 loadings... your shoulder will give out before your Buffalo Classic will. We had quite the debate over at Graybreards Outdoors about this too. I spoke to James Garrison CEO of 1871H&R before the take over by Marlin. Mr Garrison plainly stated that the Buffalo Classic will handle ALL loads that are SAMMI specs. One guy that I do know personally has reamed his chamber up to 45-120 which makes the case length 3.25" long btw. Tim has done some fine work on his collection of Buffalo Classic rifles and other creations of them to include a 405 Winchester chambering.

We also discussed at length about sights for the Buffalo Classic as well... and no the current stupid Williams rear peep sight is not even remotely period correct and along with a front tunnel sight that is too high. We discussed that the Buffalo Classic would be better suited with a Smith Elevator Ladder Sight out on the barrel place approx 6.5" down from the breech brake and that a front blade sight was more period correct like you see on my Remington Rolling Block below. I have even thought about getting another Buffalo Classic and putting a William Malcom telescopic sight on it just for kicks.

James Garrison and I did come up with a special offer for those interested and to my knowledge is still holding up today for a Steel Trigger Guard and Forend Spacer that is of the same case color look as the reciever of the SB-2 frame.

There is also an offer for a dead mule or recoil reducer offer but I used to just make my own using a hollow metal mop handle cut to length for the stock bolt hole. The tube is then plugged at one end real good using a tap. Then mix epoxi with lead shot for weight. You should be able to get about 2 pounds of added weight. Before you place you dead mule into stock bolt hole use some rubber padding that is stuck on the end that will be against the stock bolt hole. Then use rubber padding against the end that will be up against the metal cresant butt plate.. this will stop the jackhammer effect that recoil will have on this. DO NOT GLUE THIS IN as this is your only way into the stock in case you need to remove your butt-stock.

I shot alot of BPCR with these rifles and can tell you with the 1:20 rifling twist the favorite bullets were of 405-gr up to 550-gr soft cast and the maximum range that I have shot the Buffalo Classic at was 804 yards at the Quigley Match held in Forsyth, Mt evey year. It is unfortunet that the Buffalo Classic is not allowed in most BPCR NRA matches... but matches such as the Quigley it is very much allowed.

I still do BPCR shooting but with a C Sharps in 45-70 and a 1876 #1 Remington Rolling Block in 45-90 this one is my baby...

I'm just passing this on. I have no first hand knowledge of the above!!!!!!

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ramrod340 very nice reply and i checked the links. I will call H&R, but again thank you.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will call H&R, but again thank you

thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H&R will install a .270 or .25/06 barrel on the Buffalo Classic frame if that is any clue to the pressure it will take.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 45/70 handi rifle and wondered if it should get the trapdoor, lever, or Ruger #1 45/70 loads.

I tried to calculate the strength of the action and barrel. I got my father, chief engineer of many gun designs, and a professor of mechanical engineering to help me. I had to learn what a section modulus and a pin in double sheer were.

I calculated that the NEF handi rifle [same rifle as the H&R Buffalo] was so much stronger than the brass that the load did not matter.

I put those calculations on the internet, and got flames.

To validate the calculations, I used Unique and 405 gr bullets and worked up to 32 gr before the brass flowed into the extractor mis fit.

"Lyman's 47th" 1992 says:
385 cast gr cast, 17.5 gr Unique, 1411 fps, 38,500 cup, for Ruger #1

That validation load was double the published max load for the Ruger #1 45/70 load.

Still more flames.
And I was banned from forums for posting the calculations and test data.

What we have here is a gap between the way engineers do things and the way consumers do things.

If you are an engineer and enjoyed my post, good.

If you are an obedient consumer with a penchant for censorship, you can go to graybeards.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote