Find
Notify
Tools

calipers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
OK guys, I`m ready to give up and replace my old dial caliper that I`ve had for ~20+ yrs. They`ve been through three moves, misused, abused, dropped, knock down by the dog, and are just getting obviously worn (beginning to need constant rezeroing. I didn`t pay much for them when new (maybe $20 tops) but they`ve served me well.

Now I`m wondering if these cheap ones have done so well for me, is there a point in getting a name brand/ more expensive set? They seemed to give me as repeatible readings as I could / needed to measure, 3.15 today is still 3.15 next week. I don`t need anymore than .001 accuracy so a digital or .0001 capability isn`t needed. I`m not a machinist , I just need an accurate reliable tool for my reloading.

Any body have a idea on where to buy calipers at good prices?
Any web sites that offer them?
How about the ones Midway offers under their name?

TIA..Joe

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Joe
Try www.sinclairintl.com They might have what you need.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Carroll B>
posted
I bought a dial cailber from a place called Contact Easthttp://www.contacteast.com/product/prodpage.cfm?grp=A5696889-FAA0-11D4-8A710050DA5FEB55 for about $38. I saw the same set at a car show that had a booth selling tools and the price was about $20.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Frankford Arsenal Stainless Steel Dial Calipers that I bought at Midway a while back. They work very well and provide the degree of accuracy/quality that I need. I think you will be plenty satisfied with them and they are only $20.71 at Midway.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
There are Chinese made dial calipers available now that are quite adequate and very reasonably priced. I use one constantly. But when you need to get fine, nothing beats a GOOD (Starret, Lufkin, Brown & Sharp, Mitutoyo, etc) micrometer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Joe, I'm gonna go against the norm here & highly recommend that you spend the bucks & get an electronic caliper. Way better than any dial or other type of vernier. No guessing or interpolating. What you see is what you've got. Mine are Starrett's mod 723A. One of the nicest features is the zero ability. Wanna check the OAL on the cartridges you're loading? It does vary you know. Just seat the first bullet to the depth you want, measure the OAL then hit the "zero" button on the calipers. No more fuss & bother. I'm firm believer in buying top quality tools the first time around then you never regret it. Show me a knowledgeable gunsmith or machinist that uses some plastic, so-called vernier caliper.
Well, enough of my diatribe. Gotta run. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight just had a sale on digital calipers that are accurate to .001 and they cost only $19.99. We have a store here, so I bought one set and compared them to my Sterrets. It worked well! So, I bought another set. One for the bench, one for the shop, one for the book shelf... So many toys...so little time!
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the same old set of Brown and Sharps that I got 30 years ago.

Buy quality and never buy again.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

t_bob38, The ones I had were Chinese, and did last longer than I expected, but did wear out.

I don`t need to "get fine" so much as I want the same reading next year as I got today. If it`s .001 off so be it, but it had better be off .001 every time. I have access to machinist blocks at work and can find if they are off or not. The last ones were for the most part right on - I only checked them @ .25, .5, and 1" I didn`t try them in the 3 - 4" range. I still am not sure that the expensive ones are the way to go but I do like my Starret micrometers, you can tell the differance in quality just by picking them up.

Jethro, I`ve been eye ballin` those Midway calipers real hard, the price is right according to the financial dept.

Bear, those digitals sure look nice. I`m *&# sure I don`t want to read a vernier for every measurement but I`ve been happy with a dial and don`t know if the extra speed (?) in reading them is worth the cost.

Ray if I get 30 yrs out of my next set I`ll be to old to read `em [Wink] It is a nice thought though....

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and get a 4" dial or digital caliper instead of a 6". The smaller lighter 4" are so much easier to handle. I've got a Mitutoyo Digital, and it is very nice, but the $20 Chinease calipers seem to measure just as accurately.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Paul, will the 4" work OK with Stoney Point tools on `06 lgt cases? I use both the comparator and the head space tools.
I never gave them consideration but I will rethink this size if it fits my needs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Joe.... MSC has Mitutoyo 4" dial calipers on sale almost every month for 56.99, and Enco has them this month for 48.49 (and Enco brand 4" for 13.49).
If you wanted a brand name I would go first with the Brown and Sharp 2) Mitutoyo 3) Starrett.
I also check my calipers against guage blocks and do not find most made in china brands wanting.
When I drop mine I regulate them to a "different status"

[ 05-28-2003, 06:19: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a set of 6" Mitutoyo dial calipers off Ebay for US$19.95 in as new condition, complete with case and adjusting tool. Seems to be plenty of them for sale as well. Check it out.

Posts: 2 | Location: Brisbane, Aus | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I will second the brown and sharpe 6" dial, swiss . Picked mine up at a pawn shop for 25.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Paul, will the 4" work OK with Stoney Point tools on `06 lgt cases? I use both the comparator and the head space tools.
I never gave them consideration but I will rethink this size if it fits my needs.

A long 30-06 round measures 3.760" using my Sinclair comparator. I have the Stoney point tool, and it looks shorter than the Sinclair. I'd say yes, 4" will do it. I'll measure a dummy and get back to you.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update:

That long 30-06 dummy (180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter Spitzer, O.A.L. = 3.340") measures 3.760" using my Sinclair comparator, but it measures 3.770" when I clamp the Stoney Point comparator on my calipers. The Stoney Point attachment is actually 0.010" longer than the Sinclair hexagon.

By comparison, a 375 H&H round (Hornady 300 gr RNSP Interlock, O.A.L. = 3.568") measures 4.095" using the 37 caliber insert for my Stoney Point tool. The Sinclair tool doesn't have a 37 caliber hole (only goes up to 30).

Hope that's helpful.

If you will be loading full-length Magnum rounds, you may need a 6" dial caliper rather than a 4".

It sounds as if you're inclined to buy a cheap one, so if you do end up getting a 6" later in life, this decision's not going to set you back too much.

I like my Brown & Sharpe 6" caliper (white face dial) a lot, but I don't guess it's more accurate than Enco or MSC-Direct store-brand calipers. Probably a little smoother to operate, more parallel jaws, stainless instead of ABS plastic or chrome plate, stuff like that.

H. C.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Henry , that would be the swiss model, that is the same one that I use, they are smooth .
The cheaper model has a red and black face.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second HockeyPuck. I got one at Harbor Freight on the same sale two weeks ago. Identical in all aspects to the one I got from Midway for lots more a few years back.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Henryc470, Thanks for taking the time to check. I ended up deciding I`d rather buy quality and enought caliper now and not worry about replacement in the future. I found Enco had a 6" Mitutoyo for $58 that seems to fill the bill so I ordered one this afternoon I don`t need the 6" now but ya never know when a mag will show up in the safe [Big Grin]
I looked at the Brown & Sharpe but they were a bit more pricey.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gsp,

You have better pawn shops in Kentucky that we have here. I was pricing chainsaws at two pawnshops nearby. They had used chainsaws at the new retail price, and the worst saws were only about $10 under full retail.

H. C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 9 inch calipers,a 0-1 inch,1-2 inch,2-3 inch,and a 0-1 inch neck thickness mic`s that I got from a guy down on his luck for nearly nothing.They are SMOOTH.and they are Starret.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Starrett 721 digitals,6" with the carbide faces. Yes there are cheaper tools on the market, but as others have said, buy good tools and they'll last you forever.

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Gunter:
I'm still using the same old set of Brown and Sharps that I got 30 years ago.

. . and they'll be good for another 30 years ! The ONLY time "BS" . . . isn't ! Brown and Sharp - my favorite as well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Ol' Joe,

I have a dial caliper I bought from Dillons, cost under $25. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nevermind
So much for image posting! And it worked so well in preview mode. [Confused]

Enjoy your new calipers...

[Frown]

[ 06-01-2003, 12:49: Message edited by: XWind ]

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get the cheap calipers. They are accurate enough for us. We are not building rocket ships. If more accuracy is needed, use a mic. It is best to get the cheap ones then you don't feel bad when they get steped on, runover etc. etc.

Posts: 40 | Location: Phoenix AZ. | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Henry, I was lucky, I bought a Starrett dial indicator with magnetic base and the B&S caliper for 50.00. The price they had on it was way higher but talked them down as I know they didnt give the poor sap what he had in it.
It also helps when they dont have a clue as to what they are .
The indicator sell's for around 130.00 and the caliper is about the same or less.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of B&S calipers I've used for over 30 years. There were made by Tesa of Switzerland when I bought mine in the very early 70's. Probably still are.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
This thread and failing eyes promted me to get a pair of inexpensive digital calipers off ebay. They arrived a couple of days ago and seem pretty good. They are hardened stainless steel and come with an extra battery. Can zero at any point for difference readings, have big numbers, and are smooth operating. They were $19.99 plus shipping. So far so good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" Mitutoyo and have sent it back once in 30 years for a thorough cleaning and re-adjustment. My biggest surprise was a Brown and Sharpe that came my way when my father-in-law passed away. It's ancient and works like a charm. The biggest thing is too keep in mind that we are dealing with a precision instrument and not abuse it in any way. Mine stays covered, out of harms way when not in use. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote