New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Barrel Bedding Help?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in .30-06. Here is my problem. No matter what ammo I shoot, factory or handloads I am able to keep the first couple of shots (after fouling the bore) under an inch. The third through fifth shots seem to fly randomly, opening the groups up to 1.5" to sometimes 3 inches or more. I leave about a minute between shots to let the barrel cool. Will bedding the barrel and action help this? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my post 64 mod. 70 chambered in .300 Win. mag I had to get the barrel and action bedded to get good groups. Mine however would not even group the first couple shots. Your problem sounds like your gun don't like a warm barrel. Let it cool off longer between shots before you try bedding it.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. Did you bed the barrel and action yourself. Was it hard? I am thinking of using one of the kits from Brownells to do it.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
It could be a barrel heating problem, from my experience, guns have normally shot better floated, but my Dakota 76 is totally bedded. I mean the whole barrel touches from the breach to the end of the stock and it shoots great.

If you are not worried about collector value, I would try to float it. I would definately bed the action. Again, in my experience evry rifle has shot better when the action has been properly bedded. I am sure others have different experiences than I though. Only my opinion.

Jim

[ 09-18-2002, 00:13: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The barrel on my model 70 touches the forearm all the way down. It also has a screw that goes from the bottom of the forend into the barrel. It also seems like the front swivel goes through the stock into the barrel but I haven't confirmed yet. Not sure how I would free float it. I also hate to take any wood off the stock because it is in pristine condition. Can I bed the action and barrel? Would that help?

[ 09-18-2002, 00:18: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

<338Lapua>
posted
I forgot about that stupid screw on the pre 64's. I would try to bed the action first. If you are going to bed the barrel you will probably have to remove wood from the stock anyway.

BTW, this may be a stupid question, but have you checked all the other possibilities, ie screws being loose, scope, mounts, etc. Not trying to be sarcastic.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Not sarcastic at all. Usually with me it is the obvious that ends up being the issue. However in this case I have checked just about everything, twice. [Confused]

<eldeguello>
posted
My experience is somewhat different than a lot of people with the old M70's, but I got excellent performance from mu .375 H&H Super Grade AFTER I removed the forend screw entirely, and just put it in a box to keep for collector value.... [Big Grin]