New
Find
Notify
Tools

case cleaning
 Login/Join

<pigman>
posted
I recently bought a case cleaning kit form midway. How long do you tumble the cases and how much media do you use at a time? I will be cleaning .45-70 and 30.06 cases for the most part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigman:
I recently bought a case cleaning kit form midway. How long do you tumble the cases and how much media do you use at a time? I will be cleaning .45-70 and 30.06 cases for the most part.

No set amount or time...varies by how much brass and how dirty it is and how old and dirty the media is...you CAN'T hurt the brass by cleaning and put enough media to be twice the volume of the brass....just make sure it is not so full as to keep the media/brass from moving around in the tumbler....clean more 06 cases at a time than 45-70 and if you don't have too many you can do them together...won't be too hard to tell them apart....lol....as the media gets dirty after several cleanings the time will be longer to get clean cases....clean the bowl of the fine dirt in the bottom of the media after it settles and the media will last longer....be sure to wash or wipe the brass before sizing as the debris will scratch dies from the just cleaned cases.....again...cleaner cases take less time..check after 1 hr and good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigDaddy speaks the truth.
A couple of little things I like to do is tumble clean the cases before I deprime. Otherwise the media gets stuck in the primer pocket and it chaps me to have to dig it out.
Unlike BD, I don't WASH my cases. Something unholy about water and gunpowder. Yeah, I know several guys wash their brass, but not this old devil. I just wipe the cases with a soft, absorbent cloth, then lube, size and reload.
Works for me.

Oh, you can jazz up you media when it seems to get ineffective with a couple dashes of Brasso or Midway makes a media rejuvinator that is fairly good. Slop a little in and run the thing till the media is dry and then add your brass.

No set time on how long to run. Run it just till you are happy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
First of all, do NOT us Brasso as a case cleaner...

Secondly, doesn't the Midway come with instructions?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
I find on average at least 2 hours. I get one of those cheap timers so I don't forget to switch it off. I usually put in on for 3 hours to be sure its bright & sparkly. I agree not to deprime before you tumble cause it is a pain to get rid of the corn media from the primer pockets.

I got a good suggestion from this site as to getting the dust off the cases before neck or full length resizing. Get a large glass jar, put in the cases & use acetone & swirl around. use a funnell & pour back the acetone for reuse. Tip cases over some cloth or newspapers. Dries in no time & clean cases.

You'll see the discolouration in the acetone & when it get too dirty you get a new batch of acetone.

Vapours not too good for you so do iyt in a well ventilated area & remember that acetone is extremely flammable. Exercise due caution.

I usually wash again in acetone to get rid of sizing lube or after I trim.

Regards,
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also use Birchwood Casey liquid case cleaner and let them sit for about a day to get the really dirty cases. Let them dry and run them through the tumbler. Don't put them in wet. Big mess.. Works pretty good. I have not been really impressed with midway case lube. It sucks really sucks. Won't come off inside the case after even after 2 hours of tumbling. Good luck.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb has been about a half hour in course media(I use rice works great and cheap, took the last load from the house as it hadn't been used in well years!)And about half an hour in poliching media like corn cob. I use Midways tumbler and brass polish. I did once leave the tumbler going for about 7 hours accidently and was that brass shiny!

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to deprime before tumbling.It cleans the primer pockets pretty well and softens up what it doesn't remove, making the pockets easier to clean with a brush.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote