Find
Notify
Tools

split/cracked necks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted
I have a 7mm Super Bower (307 win necked down to .284 and improved) that I'm having a problem with. Acually it is with the brass. After the second firing (1 fireforming and 1 reload) the brass develops splits in the neck area. Would annealing the brass help or is it something I'm doing wrong when I resize? Any help would be most appreciated....RW

Posts: 82 | Location: Bloomfield, NY, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I experienced similar problems with brass that had changes in neck diameter, for example, when necking down .284 cases to 6mm/.284, and also when expanding case necks, like sizing 7X65R brass up to 8X65R. I found that annealing the case necks AFTER the sizing operation greatly reduced the number of split necks I was getting. At first, I annealed cases with a propane torch, but with this method, you have to be very careful to heat the necks uniformly and prevent the heat from travelling too far down the case. I found the best method for me was to dip the case up past the shoulder in a can of powdered graphite, then, holding the case by the head, immerse it up to the shoulder in molten lead (in an electric bullet casting pot). When your fingers start to become uncomfortable from the heat, remove the case from the lead and drop it into a bucket of cold water. KEEP THE BUCKET FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM THE LEAD POT that no water splashes into the lead!!! This method gives a very uniform anneal, and the graphite keeps the lead from adhering to your cases.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt you need to anneal your necks. It's always recommended you do so after any major reforming of brass and necking up or down is one of those situations. I anneal holding the brass in my fingers, twirling it in the propane flame and dropping it in a bucket of water.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote