Find
Notify
Tools

17Rem case trimming
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Just wondering what case trimmers are available for the 17 Rem? Hornady doesnt seem to make a pilot, Lee has none... what's left?
Also...anyone have a .17 pilot they could measure the diameter of, as I may try turning down an existing 22 pilot to suit my Hornady trimmer.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 17 pilots for the Lyman trimmer. I believe, but am not sure that these would fit in an RCBS trimmer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster has a .17 pilot, which has to be used with their .17 cutter head. This due to the shank thread being smaller on the .17 than the rest of the pilots used.
Before turning a 22 pilot, make sure the cutters extend enough inward.
I will try and remember to mic my pilot, or it may be noted on the Forster site.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .17Rem. nose piece. There's no problem here. Just order it from RCBS and you're good to go. I also use a RCBS trimmer. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider,
Would be much appreciated if you mic your pilot, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm up for a new trimmer.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
A pilotless case trimmer may be an alternative for you to consider.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=05-7X&type=store

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
Hornady don't do just a pilot for the .17. It's a cutter/pilot assembly for that one, Part No.390942 , $ 17.59 from Grafs; spare cutters are No. 390972.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gadge,
Located that part on the Graf's site...need to look into it some.
Cheers...
Con