New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has an H & R single shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at the Handi Rifle, Ultra Hunter, or Ultra Varmint. I want .223, and an additional barrel in .243 or 25-06. The gun will be for groundhog hunting, target shooting, and a backup for deer. I'm looking for something to expand my shooting and reloading past deer hunting, but I'm cheap.

What kind of accuracy can I expect? Comparable to bolt actions? What kind of gunsmithing is required to get them shooting well? Does the break open action require full length sizing? Are there any reloading peculiarities?

Is there a quality difference between the handi rifle and the Ultras? I like the looks of the laminated stocks on the Ultra Hunter and Ultra Varmint.

How hard is it to change barrels? Can I leave the scopes on, and does the point of impact change when barrels are re-installed?

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H&R and NEF are the same gun, but I have a synthetic .223 NEF Handi Rifle. There isn't much gunsmithing to be done. Float the barrel (several ways to do it, including taking material out of the forearm), rest it on the forearm screw when you shoot and maybe polish the chamber. I haven't been able to get the same accuracy a bolt action will get, yet. The groups for the .223 seem to run around 1"-1 1/2" at 100 yards. Maybe I'm just a bad shot.

Rifling is 1 in 12", so it doesn't like bullets heavier than 55 gr.

Remove the forearm screw and lift the barrel off, with scope.

The throats are very long, so it's a waste of time to try to get into the lands with a reload. I find .38 Specials shoot just as good as the longer .360 DW's in my .357 Mag barrel.

The difference between the Handi and the Ultra is cosmetic and sometimes the barrel length will be longer on the Ultra.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I used to have a 223 Handi rifle with a bull barrel that was very accurate. Its the first gun I had that would give the occasional bullet in the same hole kind of accuracy.

IMHO a couple of their drawbacks are that unless the chamber is cleaned regularly the cases will sometimes fail to eject, and another common problem is that if care is not taken when closing the action the case head will sometimes bang up the reciver around the firing pin hole. Mine was used when I got it and had this problem, which is why its gone now.

I was raised on a couple of single shots and still like them, nothing promotes accurate habits like knowing you only have one chance. They are quite simple, yet strong and in my experience they can be very accurate as well.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1970's when nobody made a bolt action .22 Hornet I had an H & R Topper, as they called it them. It gave me a "nickel" size group at 150 yards. The only thing I can say bad about it is.. It wasn't a bolt action.
Do not get an ULTRA-LITE barrel. I have a Ruger Untra-Lite that in order to get it to group under 3 1/2 inches I haaad to reduce the velocity/loaaaad to 2600 fps.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Do a search for "BIG MORTIE". He is the final word on Handi Rifles.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Handi in .22 Hornet and .22WMR. Both are excellent performers. With handloads, my Hornet will do less than M.O.A. with 13.4gr Lil'Gun and 40gr v-max's seated t0 1.900.
I highly recommend one for you if your looking for a inexpensive accurate rifleSmiler

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do a search for "BIG MORTIE". He is the final word on Handi Rifles.

Does this mean that if I get one, I'll be just like Mortie? Uh-Oh.

Thanks for the input folks. I'd realy like a very accurate rifle, but I'm poor. I see and hear about guys paying more than I can afford for factory bolt actions and still getting big groups. It seems its a gamble, and I'd rather wager $250 than $600.

Can anybody speak from experience about point of impact changes when swapping barrels?

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
my 223 standard weight barrel shoots 3 different types of factory ammo into MOA or less. I just put a new scope base on mine and sighted it in earlier this week. The groups seemed to vary POI with how hot the barrel is, That is something I am gonna have to get sorted out. The trigger is the only thing holding mine back it is set around 4#'s now

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote