New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Base .35 Remington Dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new (to me) Model 8 Remington autoloader in .35 Rem. caliber. Conventional wisdom says you need to use small-based dies to reload for this gun, however, no one makes small-based dies for it anymore (if they ever did -- can't find any on ebay).

Anybody else reload for one of the old Remington autoloaders? Do I really need small-base dies?

Thanks

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for an early Marlin 336 (maybe 1952),
a late M141 Remington pump, and an early 760 Remington pump all in 35 Remington. I also have a TC Super 14 barrel in 35 Remington.
So few bolt guns were made in 35 Remington that I doubt that loading ammo just for the bolt guns was ever a significant consideration for the die makers.
I have 2 sets of RCBS dies and 2 CH sizers and they all produce usable ammo for all the chambers I have. None of the rifles or the Contender have much camming power and they all chamber my ammo easily.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
autoloading rifles in the remington models 8 or 81should be full length sized.RCBS, Lyman and others make dies that work at reasonal pricesI've been A collector of these for a long time. PM for more info. if needed RCA.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ct. | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I suspected that since most all the rifles commonly chambered for the .35 Remington are/were of the type that would normally use small-base dies, that the standard dies would size the base small enough to function properly in them. Guess that's why they don't offer a seperate small-base die.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with GAHUNTER. Never had a need for a SB die for my 336/.35. In fact, loading no more than manual loads, I usually only neck size with a Lee Collet sizer and have no trouble at all - accuracy is quite good too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote