New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 205 Small rifle primer failure in .223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working up a load for my .223 using Federal small rifle primers. I loaded up fifty rounds using 22.3 gr of H-335 and a 50 gr Hornady bullet. 5 out of 50 rounds misfired. Is this common? It was around 15 degrees F when I went to the range. Do I need a magnum primer for shooting in cold weather?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer recommends mag primers with ball powder loads in 223. I'd email Hodgdon and see what they say about H335 and cold weather loads.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use the Fed 205M in my 223 with W748 under 55 gr BTs and have never had a misfire. I`d check the striker to insure it isn`t being effected by the cold and hanging up. Also are you sure the primers are seated deep enough?

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a heavier load of H335 and 55/53grain bullets in my 223 and in my shooting in warm weather I have never had a misfire...with Federal or Rem 7 1/2 primers.....I do uniform the primer pockets and use a hand primerseating RCBS tool for priming.......but I did a few with the press priming arm for a quick load check a couple of times and no problem.....I did have Rem 6 1/2 primers split and blow out with my 223 loads even though they were reccomended in a couple of load articles...I find out from Remington that the 6 1/2 are for LOW pressure Hornet and 30cal carbine loads only....are you sure the primers are seated well?.....good luck and good shooting-loading with a bang everytime!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Federal primers for over 30 years, and they are, IMHO, the best. Federal has managed to maintain its size, consistency, and quality control all along. In fact, the only Federals that have ever failed me were some "bulk" rf.22s purchased at a mart store.

If you're using an AR variant with modifications, go back and try to shoot that ammo. If it functions the second time through,(on subsequent striker blows) you have an answer to the problem, if not, the primer, or storage conditions might be at fault. If any changes were made to the striker/hammer/spring, or carrier group, this is where I'd look first.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS's hand priming tool to set my primers. I've never had a problem with itwhen loading for my 300 Win. I'll check and make sure they are fully seated next time I load them up.

I am using military brass. I bought some ammo from Ultramax (I think that right it has the american flag on the box), and re-used the brass. The primer crimp was removed by the manufacturer. Should I try some different brass, or use a pocket uniformer?

The rifle I am loading for is a H&R Ultra-Rifle. It shot all the factory ammo I tried with no problems.

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't blame the primers. A good friend of mine, who has been thru Federal Ammo' plant, tells me that the industry standard is one failure in 11,000,000 primers. That agrees with what I had heard years ago. In my experience, all failures to fire can be traced to reloader error--e.g., grease, excessive seating force and so on.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may have a to clean the bolt fireing pin. I had the same problem in cold weather while deer hunting in North Dakota. The rancher were I hunted had some Carburetor and choke cleaner which I used to blast the dirt etc out of the bolt. I then gave it a little shot of WD-40. Have not a problem of not fireing since then.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I then gave it a little shot of WD-40. Have not a problem of not fireing since then.

That'll do it, alright!!