Find
Notify
Tools

Help in Loading 200G Accubonds.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
I bought a box of accubonds and can't get them to shoot for **it in my 300WSM. This is one rifle (until now) that has shot everything (Xs, BTs, Partitions, A frames, Bearclaws, Failsafes) from 150-180G into under MOA groups @100 yards. The accubonds are all over the place. The best group I've gotten so far is 2.5 inches. Is it because it's 200G, and have to be seated so deep in the WSM case? I've been seating them .020 off the lands. I know I can hunt anything with the bullets will shoot, but I'd like to get these to shoot as well. Suggestions? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, welcome to the club. When I saw the design and the ballistic coefficients of the new Accubonds I was ready to try them.

I bought a box of the 200 grain bullets as soon as I could find any. I tried and tried them in my .300 Weatherby, could not get consistant results. I might shoot a one inch group one time then try another group with the same load and get a two inch group. I even had to buy a second box.
On the last day I shot them, I have to admit I finally wound up with an average group size of 1.5 inches, which would be ok for hunting. However, on the same day I shot groups with 180 grain Nosler Partitions that were quite close to a half inch. Guess which one I took on an elk hunt this fall. That Partition did fine by the way, dropped a nice 6X6 in his nose and retained 68% of its original weight.

I gave the rest of those 200 Accubonds to my buddies who had very similar results. I bought a box of the .338 bullets in 225 grain and we tried them in two .338 Win Mag rifles and one .340 Weatherby, groups of 2-3 inches!

I even went to the factory at Nosler and gave them what for. They, of course, said I was the first and only guy to complain about the accuracy of the Accubonds.

In all fairness, I just finished working up a load for a .338 Rem Ultra Mag that shoots those 225 Accubonds like a varmint rifle. It is a Remington Sendero and it shoots 200 grain Ballistic Tips in about 0.65". I decided what the heck and tried the Accubonds. I shot three groups in one afternoon that could be covered by a dime! (0.36" center to center).

So, I guess some rifles really like the darned things, but it took me lots of trying before I found one. I have had lousy results trying to get the Swift Scirocco and the Hornady Interbond to shoot as well.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up the 200 grain accubonds for my Savage 300 RUM using IMR 4350 powder. I got groups under one inch with them. It's a keeper load for my 300 RUM.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
I beleive its how deep you have to push them in the brass for your WSM. I don't know too many people that shoots 200gr out of there WSM. Now for my 300RUM, they are the cats meow, but I never could get X's to shoot. Thats reloading for ya.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote