THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Weight of brasses any influences on precission???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight of brasses any influences on precission???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey,
i went last weekend to a friend of mine to reload some amunition for my .375H&H, and i was a little bit astonished as my friend sorted all brasses by weight.For reloading he just took the brasses with an weight deviation of 5gr up or down of the average brass weight, because different brass weights will have a big influence on the precision of the loaded ammo.
i mean with an average brass weight of 254 grain, and in the .375H&H, i�m not quiet sure of , if a brass with a lighter weight-or a heavier weight- will have such big influence on precision.

What are your experiences.??????
Have you ever weight your brasses???

solong
konst#1

------------------
My old User Name "konst" has been lost , on 20/5/02, after a ???????

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What your friend is looking at is the internal volume (cc's) of the case, and trying to keep it (close to) the same on every case.
The weighing theory is that, if the outside is the same size and length than, the weight differance represents different interior volumes (lighter case = more volume, heavier case = less volume).
I keep my hunting brass to +/- 2.5 grains (30-06) and I see in another thread that Saeed keeps his target brass to +/- 0.2 grains.
It sounds like your buddy is a good careful reloader thats trying to get the best out of your rifle for you.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
KONST#1,
You know what opinions are like I'm sure, and everyone has one.Having said that, now I'm going to give you mine. Jusr remember it and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee. First, TAILGUNNER hit the nail on the head. The only useful addition I can make is to suggest that all prep work has been done on the cases. The least that should be done on the cases is to size them and trim them all to the same length. The cases should also be clean. I'm of the opinion that sorting by weight does make a difference. I've proved it to myself many times. Cases that differ to much from others can be the cause for unexplained fliers. Fliers can also be caused by cases in which the neck thickness varies too much. To me if necks vary as little as .001", that's too much. I hope that this is of some help. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi all

I my own experience I have found that attention to smaller details is exactly what makes the difference to get those elusive .5 inch groups & I have even had smaller . I have done a test for myself , using various brass for the one loading , for the second loading I weighed the brass . for the third loading I weighed the brass cleaned flash holes, cut cases to exact length , deburred pockets and neckturned the brass. And in all honesty the third loading was by far the most accurate [Smile] . It shows that attention to small details does make a difference .

Regards
Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey,
thanks for responding.
We didi exact the same way you mentioned it: sized them first,trimmed, cleaned and then weight the brasses.
I get an superb precission (IMHO 14 shots on 100 meters with 7 diff. loads , shotgroup of 3 cm!!?)
After we found the max. loads off the 7 different loadings(3% under max. powder );we also loaded 2 cases that where lighter and two havier than the average,...but i hadn�t the chance to test there precission.

But thanks for the hints, you helped me [Smile]

cheers
Konstantin
Waidmannsheil from Germany,

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote