New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anybody shooting one of these? If so, I would appreciate your impressions, likes, dislikes, etc...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
The .35 Win is a great cartridge for timber hunting. I have been looking at making one up on one of the Browning 95s. It is the same basic case as the .30-40 Krag only longer.
It was used a lot here in Montana around the end of the 19th and early 20th century.
The hot bullet these days is the Hornaday 250 gr RN. This bullet can be driven to 2300fps with the strength of the '95 kept in mind. This bullet is just the righ shape and the cannelure is in the right place too.
One can get a nice 250 gr Lead GC bullet for it too from Western Bullet Company in Missoula, Montana.
This fine old cartridge will kill anything in NA with a well placed shot.
We are mostly over gunned here in the US. I know several people who hunted most everything with a .30-30, .250 Sav or other "light" rifle.
This cartridge is best in a lever gun with the '95 Win being the only readily available action.
Have a couple of guys that come to our gunshope that have a '95 Win in .35 Win but neither shoot them and want astronomical collector prices for them.
Hope this helps.
Great Shooting.
The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. As you might imagine, I have a "project" in mind.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmm....actually if dies aren't too difficult to get or astronomical to affored, it might make a nice high wall project....hmmmmmm......

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Pedestal -- I am a .35 Caliber man myself. I have a buddy that shoots a .35 Win and would shoot nothing else, and probably could take all challengers on accuracy. I have never seen a .35 chambering I didn't like, personaly I shoot a .358 STA. Other excellent choices include the Whelen, Norma, .350 Rem and .35 Rem. The bullet choices are now excellent after Swift, North Fork and Barnes got in the game. Good luck with your project and good shooting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by phurley (edited 05-17-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS dies are listed in the Huntington catalog at $109-kinda pricey... A chamber reamer might be difficult to come up with, although I suppose you could order one from Clymer or someone.

Phurley-
Want kind of rifle does your friend shoot?

[This message has been edited by Pedestal (edited 05-17-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
well, that's disheartening. it's not at reamerrentals.com.

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<KTS>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pedestal:
[B]RCBS dies are listed in the Huntington catalog at $109-kinda pricey...

I can get Redding dies a bit cheaper than that, this sounds like it would be a good contender project, I have a 35 rem that is super but I kind of like the 'odd' ones my self.
Wes

------------------
http://ktsammo.250x.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis_Lemay:
well, that's disheartening. it's not at reamerrentals.com.

Yeah, I checked there first thing. I don't know what their policy is for adding new reamers-they do have some oddballs...

<phurley>
posted
Pedestal -- My buddy shoots an older lever action Winchester, sorry I don't know the Model number. Good shooting.

------------------