Thanks
Steve

Steve
NRA Life Member
USMC 1980-1986

Posts: 2 | Location: NNJ | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 40gr of IMR-4064. Not real light but very accurate.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

To get some lighter-recoiling loads for the .308 Win. w/165 gr. bullets isn't too difficult. Most loads in this powder/bullet velocity range are very accurate which build some great initial confidence with someone just starting off.

Like the post above, I would have suggested 40.0 grs. of IMR-4064. Another good mild load is 40.0 or 41.0 grs. of H-4895. Depending on what you have available for powders, my suggestions would be (in order of preference) H-4895, IMR-4064, IMR-4320 or IMR-3031.

Personally, if I wanted something for a youngster; I'd go with the 150 grainers in the .308 Win.; either NBT's, Speer, Sierra's, Hornady's or (my favorites) the Remington Bronze Points; they make outstanding practice rounds and still have enough whoomp to cleanly take game. For the ultimate in reduced load for .308 Win. try the above powders with 130 gr. NBT's.

While the loads themselves are really mild, my expereince with youngsters, wifes and those recoil-afflicted I've tried this with as a starting point is that the muzzle blast is still considerable, distracting and tend to put off youth shooters more than the virtually, non-existant recoil. A pair of soft ear plugs in conjunction with a pair of good muffs works wonders to help develop good shooting!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I USE 24GR OF IMR 4759. GOT THE LOAD OUT OF A OLD SPEER MANUEL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KC2,
Gerry hit it on the head with the 130 NBT. I hunt with a guy that uses the 130gr NBTs out of his 308 and in the broiler room on deer and pigs it is devestating!!!! Like you he was looking for a youth load and liked it so much he stuck with it.

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If one wants to reduce recoil I think the best plan is two steps.
Reduce noise, reduce recoil.

Most shooters seem to be as concerned with noise as they are with recoil, even though they will say it is the kick, I have found the NOISE is really the first and biggest issue that one needs to overcome.

That said the recoil can be reduced only two ways less powder and/or less bullet weight.

If it were me I would dig around and find the Seafire method of determinining "proper or max" Blue Dot loads and then I would load 130 grain bullets.

Heck to get them shooting, if you have time I would suggest 30 carbine RNSP bullets and burn a hundred or so down the barrel for confidence.
Reasonable distance/chosen shot even they will work if loaded down to 2100-2300 fps AND put into ribs broadside ONLY.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Guys I loaded up some last night tomorrow it's off to my up state ny camp for deer season let you know how they worked out.

Steve
NRA Life Member
USMC 1980-1986

Posts: 2 | Location: NNJ | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Strongly consider a 150 grain bullet and IMR 3031.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 125 gr. BT's for my son's 308 at 2,350. He's shot 10 deer from 10 yrds to 187 lasered yards. We have never recovered a bullet all pass throughs. No deer has gone more than 50 yrds. Mild recoil! We even shot a 200 lb hog at 25 yrds. complete penetration. I'm not crazy about BT's but at this velocity they work very well. I don't have my load data with me. I got the load out of a Speer reloading manual.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote