New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power case trimmers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the pros and cons of power case trimmers? I'm presently working on a wildcat where I'll need to trim 200 or so cases. I have been using a redding manual trimmer for about 15 years or so now, but I'm thinking it will take me forever to trim that many cases in one sitting. What do you guys recommend? thanks

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Chuck your small electric drill to the shaft of your trimmer...

Total investment...$0.00...if you have a drill.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Lyman power trimmer, can't recommend it much. I never felt it produced very consistent case lengths, nor was I all that convinced of its ability to square cases.

My present (hand powered) Wilson trimmer produces results a TON better in terms of quality. The wilson can be driven by an electric screwdriver (or drill?), although that requires an extra gizmo to attach the power tool - and some people believe the power tool is best supported (on a laboratory stand, or something) during operation to avoid uneven pressure during trimming.

The ultimate power trimmers are the Graceys and Girauds. Expensive, fast, and supposedly very good.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tlp335,
Depending on the cases you are sizing, you may find the inexpensive Lee in a drill press or hand drill to be very fast and square and uniform.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS unit with the motor. Mine is screwed down to the bench (as they are supposed to be). Mine without a doubt,..will never have a case mic at any more than .0005" +/- than any other case from the same trimmed lot. Mine is super accurate and the mouths are square. Mic them at all 4 corners, and come up with the same measurement every time. very pleased with it.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also chuck my electric drill to my trimmers....If you want accuracy then use the file trim dies..I use file trim dies on any caliber that I intend to crimp such as my 30-30s, 25-35, 470,

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ultimate is the Gracey, I just bought one.
( this a major feat for a tightwad such as myself )
Worth every penney of $ 234.00 ( ouch ! )
It's built like a Hum-Vee.
It's fast like a muscle car.
It's accurate like a Wilson.
And it's not something you want to keep fiddlin with to change cartridges. ( I shoot more 223 than anything else, and will still use my other trimmers for lower volume stuff. )

I have also powered my Forster with a power screwdriver, used the Lee trimmers, and the Possum hollow trimmer.

They all work.

Travis F.