Notify
Tools

Primers for 300 win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
Help pleae,

Can I use large rifle primers to reload for 300 Win. mag or do I need some special magnum rifle primers? Any recommended brands?

Thank you

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Standard primers are fine unless you are loading very slow powders like RL25. I am partial to Federal but have used them all w/ good effect.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Win LRs, WLRMs, Fed 210s, Fed 215s, They all work well. Some better than others w/ certain loads.

I prefer Fed 215 Gold Medal Match Primers in the cart at hand but, the other's will do just fine.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fed 215. cheers

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester WLR primers with WMR powder, sadly discontinued in my .300 Win. Mag. Works just fine for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer Fed 215 Gold Medal Match Primers

that is a roger on that!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any LR primer will go "bang" in your .300 Winchester. Some "standard" force primers (WLR for instance) tend to be "hotter" than some "magnum" primers.

You may find a small difference in accuracy with one primer over the other, but there will be no difference in dependability of ignition o matter what the powder, despite old wives tales to the contrary.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys this is great info and very helpful.
Love ya!

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win mag for 33 years. It is a post 64 action that has been with me to Alaska and all over the American West. From Brown Bear to Caribou and many Elk. It is scarred, battered and beaten but still shooting one holers when I do my part and use Fed 210M primers. If I go to 215M primers or any other primer on the market today the one hole group will blow to 1-1.5 inchs just like clockwork. My son is now shooting the rifle and it has taken many Elk and Deer for him. This is his and my experience for what it is worth. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I do my part and use Fed 210M primers

By the way, the Federal 210M is one of the mildest LR primers on the market. Just goes to show that "high energy" primers are not necessary, and sometimes not desirable, for large charges of slow burning powder.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote