Find
Notify
Tools

338-06, the 160gr TTSX & IMR4895
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
I had been meaning to get a hunting load together now since last fall when the bullets arrived after coming off of backorder.

Last Saturday I loaded up 3 of each:
53gr
53.5gr
54gr
54.5gr

I was too lazy to get out the chrony, so just shot the test loads for groups.

I've decided to settle on the 54gr load with these components:
Win 30-06 brass necked up to 338
WLR primer
IMR4895
Barnes 160gr TTSX

There will be some naysayers on here asking why I would use such a light bullet in this cal.

Well, I want a flat shooting load out to 500 that will make a BIG hole. Considering these bullets expand to twice their regular diameter, they should punch a significant hole clean through any whitetail, elk or moose.

It worked handily to take this fox @ 250 yds after initial load testing was completed!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CK82 I'm not trying to be a naysayer but. I shoot a 338-06AI using 210gr Swift Scirocco's. They have a high BC. The load I have arrived upon shoots within an inch all the way out to 500yds of my 270, which uses 140gr boattails. That's pretty flat. Just saying.
Cheers.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 340PDK. Think Gibbs plus a couple or 338-06AI plus about 10grs of capacity. I played with the full range of bullets. I ended up with the 200 Accubond for everything. Works great for Elk and anything else I use the rifle for. If I really need more weight I simply jump to 375.

That said don't know if I would drop to 160s but if it works for you and you are happy that's what counts.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote