Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Nosler Partitions??????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I just picked up 3 boxes (50each) of .308 180gr Nosler Partition at a gunshow. I think I got a good deal, $25. But I'm a little curious about these bullets because there's 3 very sharp cannelures cut into them. I believe this is so you can easily seat and crimp them into a variety of .308 cal cases.

All new Partitions I've ever seen have no cannelures. And bullets that do have one don't have such a sharp groove.

So my questions are:
1. Can I load these according to the current
Nosler manual in my 300WinMag?

2. Should I just use these for target practice or will they perform just as well as the new stuff on game.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old ones are in red cardboard slip-top boxes. They are lathe-turned with a single crimping groove (I believe it is really a relief band) about .100" wide.

I would closely inspect them for uniformity and weight before using them, otherwise I would say you are good to go. They will perform fine.

[ 09-07-2003, 08:12: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Gonzo,

The bullets you have were developed for the 300 WM as it's neck is so short. The groves are to help the neck hold the bullet. Now the 180 Partition Protected Point will fit in that round.

The even older ones with the turned bodies front and back are the orginals and they also have a hole connecting the two chambers.

I shot some animals and varmints with the oldest Partitions and they opened up very fast. But it's just history now.

<Herb D>
posted
Mine (270's) are in yellow boxes and also have a groove about 1/8" wide machined into them. The price tag says $4.75. Do you think they are early sixties vintage?