New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which reloading book?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which of the new reloading books are good and not brand specific? meaning only showing their bullets. I'd want at least loads for 375H&H, 06, ackley improved cartridges would be cool. 458 Lott and I don't suppose any of them have 416 Taylor.

Thanks dudes.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red

Get on your search engine and look up used books. You can generally buy manuals in like new condition for about 1/3 to 1/2 the new price. P.O. Ackley had a manual saw one just a coulpe of months ago listed. Swift Aframe also has one that may have a couple of loads that would interest you.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,

Hogdon's manual is one of the better manuals that is not brand specific related to bullets. I'm not sure if the newest version has .416 Taylor and .458 Lott data. I know for certain that the A-Square manual has data for the .416 Taylor and .458 Lott. It uses Nosler, Sierra and A-Square bullets, but is short on data compared to many other manuals. The only manual I remember having any data for the AI cartridges is the Nosler 4 & 5 books.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman is good for not being brand of bullet specific. I have the 47th edition (1992), no Ackleys, no Lott or Taylor. I think they've got a 48th by now, maybe they'd be in there.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
They're all good in their own way. Bullet and powder companies that produce them are not very objective about products from other manufacturers, if they're even shown, so I agree with craigster. I don't shoot any calibers that are not listed in the Lyman 46th, or the SPEER #11 so I still use 'em. I am a firm believer that all load manuals should have pressure data rather than just listing a maximum load and hopefully Lyman is still doing that. Getting ahold of all of the powder manufacturers load booklets is also a good way to supplement your load manuals. Some powder companies no longer believe in supplying free data for their powders. I have a simple solution for that: I rarely buy their powders! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Generic bullet data by wgt is available from most of the powder manufactures on their web sites.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Your local newsstand should have the 2006 Hodgdon Annual Manual for about $7 or so. I like this 'magazine' style format (it lays open to my page nicely) and the amount of loads they cram in there, plus the price is right. A variety of bullet weights and brands are provided for each cartridge.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I like the Nosler book, not only because I load Nosler bullets but also because they present their bullets with VihtaVuori powders as well. I think the A-Square book is good as well, especially if you load big bores.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Nosler,Speer,Barnes, etc there all good and the loads listed are all safe in my rifles. On the other hand P.O. Ackley,A-Square, and Wildcat Cartrides have loads that make me wonder how many rifles were destroyed developing the published ballistics. It's best to start fairly low the the latter set of manuals and work up carefully.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1415 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The only two manuals you will find that are not brand specific are Lyman and Hodgdon.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Nosler,Speer,Barnes, etc there all good and the loads listed are all safe in my rifles. On the other hand P.O. Ackley,A-Square, and Wildcat Cartrides have loads that make me wonder how many rifles were destroyed developing the published ballistics. It's best to start fairly low the the latter set of manuals and work up carefully.

hey pardner

you gotta remember ackley wrote those books back in the '60's and powders have changed through the years. mant people don't take that into consideration. wouldn't he have a ball now with all the powders that have been developed, even the ones that have showed up since he passed away. i'll bet he is sitting in reloaders heaven with a big smile on his face right now.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you havent already, you might want to checkout the COMPLETE RELOADING GUIDE by John Traister and Robert Traister. Published by Stoeger.
It does not have a tons of loads, but has quite a bit covering most cartridges(doesnt have the dang 300 savage though).

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use Speer because that is what I started with 30 years ago but I also like Serria and the balistics department with the 800 number. Hodogon's probably updates more often than the others.

my 2 pennies worth
Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have a Lyman book, not sure which one offhand but it has to be at least 10 years old. I usually go to that, and like the fact that they are a bit conservative. I have a Speer book, Nosler, but they are not the current ones. I will look at these and put them on my wish list for my upcoming birthday (wife wants a list) and will try to find the Hogdon magazine version.

I have found a speer and sierra helpful with load data when I called them.

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red ----- The books put out by the powder companys are not brand specific on bullets, but they are on powder, those put out by the bullet companys are on bullets but not powder. That said I really like the new Barnes, Nosler, Swift and particularly the A-Square books, the later even giving the lot number of the powder. Now going and finding that powder may be impossible, but at least the information is there. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The A-square manual has data for a lot of the big bore stuff including the 416 Taylor.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote