THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone work with IMR 4227 on rifle Loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using a can of IMR 4227 that I have had around for so long, I really don't know why I have it.....

Since I have some old IMR load data on it, I thought I would check it out... Tried it in a 223 and a 22.250 for starters... Needlessly to say I am impressed with both accuracy and lack of recoil...

It also seems to be a forgiving powder that doesn't have pressure spikes easily... At least at 100 degrees that we have had around here lately...

It has worked well so far in 3 different 223s and two different 22.250s... I have also tried it in two problem child 243's I have, but while giving good groups out of both... It did not do as well as Blue Dot or SR 4759 in both rifles...

I have also tried H 4227 in the past and did not have very good accuracy or consistency out of it...

Appreciate any feed back....It has substantially lowered recoil over standard 22.250 loads!

cheers beer
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it in the 7.62X39 mm, .30-30, .300 Savage, .30'06, and .45-70. All of these using cast bullets with good to very good accuracy. I used it in a .300 Savage to take my first deer with cast bullets in 1977.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI've used the IMR in my 9x41. The reduced loads with 158gr. pistol bullets had some unburned powder???????????? Full loads (24 to 29 gr.) worked well.

In the .375x41 full loads worked well.

Years ago I used it in the Hornet and if memory serves it was OK. Smilerthat' all I got roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Seafire, The only rifle I have used it in is a hornet and it worked very well in that application. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 17.0 gr. of either H or IMR-4227 in either the .308 Win. or 30-06 with a 180 gr. cast bullet. I add a one grain tuft of dacron, but it's not really necessary. You can also substitute Aliant #2400 in the same amount. I get 1.5 MOA at 200 yards from a .308 and the 30-06 will knock down pig silhouettes at 300 meters. If you hit the pig in the upper third, it will go down. Any lower and it just rocks back and forth a bit.
Another substitute is 25.0 gr. of either of the 4895s.
Nice accurate fun loads. Enjoy.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but IMR-4227 in my .22 Hornets (Savage, Anschutz, and T/C), load =11.2 - 11.3 grains with a 45-46 grain bullet, usually 0.223 diameter when I can get them. Has always worked very well, and it takes forever to use up a can of powder! Oh, the best Hornet cases seem to be from RWS when you can find them (try Natchez Supply) and I hear that RWS Hornet ammo is supposed to be the best .22 Hornet factory ammo bar none, BUT I have never even seen a box of it here in the USA.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, I also use IMR 4227 in my Hornet (K-chambered). I have used it in reduced load .223's, and was pleased. If you'll check one of the old DuPont reloading pamphlets, you'll find that each of the IMR powders is listed for nearly every caliber, including IMR 4227. The listing typically shows the amount of a given IMR powder that generates a pre-determined C.U.P. in a given cartridge and with a given bullet. As a result, the IMR 4227 loads are what you would call "maximum" loads, which makes an excellent reference point for downloading the powder.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sea, I've used it in my .45-70 w/ a Dacron wad for light 900fps loads. I also use it for fireforming rifle carts.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote