THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Slower or faster powders for mo' speed?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Not yet. Swung by one of the local gunstores, the one I usually shop at, and they are out of N160 Not sure how much difference there is btwn that and N560, which I think they might have had, as far as burn rate. Hopefully I'll have enough N160 to get me thru this upcoming match, and then I'll play w/ some other combinations for the heck of it.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
milanuc:
I agree that about 26" is about all the barrel length that is required for 6.5-08 due to the modest amount of powder that is used. Yes some minimal velocity gains are noticed but IMHO they are minimal. But, the longer barrel does allow you to set the barrel back after the throat is toasted and still have a useable barrel with enough length to be servicable again.

I know that you are not trying to argue about the velocity of the 142 in a long barrel. It can be done, BUT I have never seen it done accurately in 6.5-08. In testing with both H4350 EXT and H4831 SC using the 142, I got to 2880 fps with the 142 from my 25" Krieger tube with no sticky bolt lift or extractor marks on the case head. But the accuracy and the exterme spread was not usable for a long range load.

I have a 6.5 X 284 and the accurate velocities that you are looking for can be had with that cartridge. But I am done with the that chambering. It is too hard on barrels for my liking. I have found it requires frequent what I would call maintenence shooting to ensure that you are with in the proper seating depth for the bullet to ensure match grade accuracy due to rapid throat erosion compared to the 6.5-08.

What you might consider is a 260 A.I. It is near to the 6.5 X 284 in accurate velocity. The accuracy node with the 260 A.I. appears to be some where between 2875 and 2925 fps. And that is a worth while gain over the standard round for match purposes at long range, and it is encroaching hard on the accurate velocity range of the 6.5 X 284. Just something to think about if you are not satisfied with the accurate velocity of the 6.5-08 / 260 Rem. I have seen the 260 A.I. perform and I am convinced enough to tear down my 6.5 X 284 and have it rebarreled and chambered for it.

If there is any other questions you have or any thing I can do help just let me know.

Hold in to the wind my friend........RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Where do you feel the 6.5x55 falls in that spread? I was under the impression it was pretty much right btwn the 6.5-08 and 6.5-284, could reach 2900-2950fps w/ a longish barrel and slower powders, had Lapua brass ready to roll, etc. Sounded like it has almost all the bennies of the 6.5-284 and few of the problems.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Rifle in question is my 'dedicated' XTC gun. Got a 30" barrel cuz I got a screamer of a deal on a take-off from someone else's gun w/ 600rds down the pipe (he'd had a Model 70 done up as a switch barrel prone gun, .308 and 6.5-08, and decided he really liked Palma and didn't want to take the .308 barrel off until it was toast. Got the barrel, dies, brass, bullets, etc. everything). Right now I've put a little under 1200 thru it after I had it set back slightly and rechambered on my Rem700 action.

I'm looking at getting it set back either this winter or this spring, since I don't seem to be getting squat for speed boost from those extra inches, I might as well get something from that 5" full diameter section in front of the receiver.

My interest in the 6.5-284 and/or the 6.5x55 is in the form of a project I have (kinda sorta) started. Picked up a beater Savage 112, and plan on working towards stripping it down to the receiver, and then fixing it up into a LR Prone gun for Any-Iron/Any-Any/F-Class matches. The gun is already a long action, so that part is taken care of.

Thanks,

Monte

one of us
posted Hide Post
milanuck:
Worked late last night and didn't get to reply. So here goes. I have no first hand experience, nor does anyone I have ever shot with or against, have any first hand experience with the 6.5 X 55. But I have never read on bad thing about the 6.5 Sweede either so I have to assume it is a good one. In a modern action with good brass, I would have to guess it would run in the velocity range that you stated. At what the velocity range the accuracy node is in I would not hazzard a guess without first hand experience. IF I had to bet my last dollar it would be around 2800 to 2850 fps with a 140 gr. class bullet. Slightly better than the 6.5-08 but not by much. Barrel life should be better than the 6.5 X 284.

But one thing to be adivsed about, the 6.5 X 55 is nearly exactly the same lenght as the 6.5 X 284. When used with a short action and the long 140 gr. class bullets if you want to remove an unfired cartridge from the chamber, the bolt must be removed. Not exactly what I want from a long range prone rifle. Maybe you were going to use a long action. Then that would not be a problem.

The 260 A.I. will do everything the 6.5 X 55 Sweede will do in a true short action cartrige. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How many rounds do you have on the 260 barrel now?

2. Are you going to be shooting conventional long range off a sling, or F class?

Sure hope this has answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask more if you want to. I will respond as soon as I can.

Hold into the wind my friend.........Gary

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
milanuk,

If you are using a 4350 class powder now, as you stated, and achieving classical pressure signs you are running ~ 70,000 psi. Shifting to the next slower burn class, 4831/Rel22 will required that you stuff around 4% - 5% more powder into the case to achieve roughly equivalent velocity with your 4350 loads. The "bright" side is the 4831/Rel22 powder will run at a slightly lower pressure ~ mid 60's.

Personally, I would load for the 55,000 - 58,000 psi range and be happy. Coincidently, the 55000 - 58000 psi range tends to be the MOST accurate. It is also the pressure range that you BR friends loads with Varget run in I suspect.

Good luck and please don't blow yourself up.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a long action it would be interesting to see how the 6.5 Sweede would perform. There is no doubt in my mind it would work superbly. Would you use a brand new barrel on it or set back the PacNor? After having tried a barrel from each of the major players in barrel making I am to the point if it isn't a Krieger, it won't get put on any rifle of mine. Let me know how the project goes. If there is anything I can do just let me know.

RiverRat

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
It was for a 30" bbl with a case of 54.5 gn to the mouth. I forget what seating depth I used; the effect would be small.

As for sporter vs. match, QL has no input for such a change. One can manually increase the "start pressure," a catch-all figure used to handle bullet engraving, neck tension, bullet jump, etc. One can also decrease the net case volume a smidge to make for a tighter "match" chamber. Frankly, I don't think QL is accurate enough to gauge such changes. As you found out, bullet seating depth (or lack of it) can blanket such differences.

While I don't think QL is especially good at figuring out what will happen with a particular powder/case/bullet/gun, it does seem to do a good job of predicting max fps for a given pressure limit. It also indicates which class and speed of powder is most likely to do the job. It just can't tell you exactly how to do it, ie. which powder and how much of it. Still, I do think QL is accurate enough to give a thumbs down to 2200 fps.

The Powley computer gives 55,000+ CUP for 3200 fps suggesting a true pressure in the upper 60's, near 70.

Do you really need that last 150 fps?

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote