New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag
 Login/Join

Picture of Sioux
posted
First of all thank you to all who responded to my last dilemma. I am new at reloading and I must admit that when I first started I thought I would be able to buy some brass, primers, bullets, and any powder, and away I go! bsflag My next problem is for my 300 win mag, I am having trouble with the length with the overall bullet,(forgive if I don't have the right wording) the reloading manual states that the max length is 3.340 and if I seat the bullet to that length with just a touch of pressure the bullet falls through. Do I have to listen to the manual? Or can I go pass the max length?

one of us
posted Hide Post
YOu can go past that if your magazine has room for longer bullets and you don't hit the rifling when chambering. That is really strange that you don't have enough neck grip at the standard 3.340". What bullet is doin this??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not reloaded the .300 Win Mag, but I think I know what your problem may be. The .300 Win Mag has a very short neck compared to other cartridges. This gives less surface area to grip the bullet.

You are likely using a longer bullet that does not have bearing surface close enough to the tip to be held by the neck of the cartridge. If I recall correctly the Nosler 180 grain protected point partition was created to address this specific problem.

What bullet are you loading?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm at a loss here. Are you using brand new brass or brass you've fired in your rifle or somebody's used or range pick up brass? In either case, it sounds like the resizing die is either not squeezing the necks down far enough or the expander plug is causing the inside diameter of the neck way too large.
If it's brand new brass, it might be a good idea to run it through the resizing die, properly lubed of course and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem still exists, then I'd take a look at the expander plug and measure it to see if it's the proper size. You might have to take it down .001 to .002" to make it work.
If you're using one of those Lee collet neck sizing dies, that too can be your problem. I have one in .243 and it does not tighten the neck enough to suit me. I think though that it's an adjustment problem as it's a new acquisition for me and I'm just starting to play with it.
Regardles of what type of sizing die you are using, I do believe that's where the problem lies.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Sioux
posted Hide Post
I am using the Nosler Partition and AccuBond, and I am using new brass. But just like LWD said I do not have enough neck to grab the bullet. I was just wondering if I could go past the max length of the bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll get this same problem if you were loading 75-gr Hornady A-Max bullets in a .223 case. The ogive is so long and slow, the diameter at the casemouth is greater than that of the bullet when the bullet is seated to the proper depth. I'd suggest you seat a bullet at the very top of the ogive, then measure the overall length. See how far out of kilter you are for useful seating in your rifle...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler's 180 grain protected point partition was made for this exact reason, and is the perfect bullet for the 300 Winchester. That short neck is the reason why my 300 says H&H on the case, not Winchester Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Invest in a new Nosler loading manual and read the intro on handloading. It states that the Nosler Protected Point was designed for the .300 Winchester. It also states that a Partition or Accubond needs to be seated longer or to a greater O.A.L. because of there longer ogives. See my p.m.
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use a greater oal if your magazine will take it.
I have my remington 300win with 200gr accubonds seated to 3.520".