Find
Notify
Tools

I have a brass problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
Big Grin How do you store your brass. I had mine stuffed in a cabinet.I dug it all out and need a good way to handle it. Any ideas.
Thanks Dave.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I store my in vacuum sealed bags after I deprime and resize them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have been using zloc bags and I have them sorted but it still a mess. I have 4 ammo cans full of 38,357,and 45's

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Your zip-lock storage system looks just like mine. I have bags of brass here and there through out the house and garage. Big Grin

I just keep the ones I plan to reload soon in the reloading room drawer.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use bags about the same size as your and some wooden boxes. Since my bags are vacuum sealed they are stiff and flat. I stack them on end in the box kind of like files in a file cabinet. Empty boxes I keep in plastic storage bin. Loaded are in a box for plastic ammo box. Those are then stacked on a couple of wire shelves.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
ramrd, That might work I have some plastic bins. Ill bag some and see how they handle.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've been doing the zip-lock bag thing, too.

I'm going to switch over to the stackable storage containers like you use to put leftovers in the fridge. Plus, I can write on the end and stack them up to make it more of an organized chaos!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

I use a combination of $1 plastic shoe box's and 5 gal buckets for 5.56, 40 S&W and 45ACP with notes for load count

For my turn bolts I keep everything in 50 count box's with good notes

Square kitty liter buckets stack and store better but my 15lb barn cat is an outside cat

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ted Looks good.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I even cleaned my bench yesterday....I snapped a pic because it won't last long

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Doing what Ted has done is exactly what I have in mind. He also gave me some additional ideas, too!!!

Thanks!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Thanks ted, I like that, I am headed to the dollar store tomorrow to see what they have for boxes. I don't know if I can get my benches that clean and organized
Dsve

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Don't open any of the cabinet doors without caution

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that digital record keeping has almost totally supplanted paper files, "old fashioned" filing cabinets are available at give-away prices.

I use plastic baggies for my various lots of brass then store the baggies in compartments for each caliber which I fashioned in the drawers of a filing cabinet. Being able to pull the cabinet drawer all the way out allows you to look directly at any of the compartments to find any of the brass you want. I also store my loaded ammunition in a similar filing cabinet.

DON'T go to the store and buy one of the cheap consumer-type lightweight filing cabinets! It will be made of metal too flimsy to support the load you want to put in it and the drawer tracks will also be insufficient. Go to a used office furniture supply (most cities of any size have one or two) and check out their overabundance of good, heavy, used, and cheap filing cabinets.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We buy our brass in bulk.

1. Resize
2. Trim
3. Uniform primer pocket
4. De-burr flash hole
5. Sort by weight.

Store in lots of 100 in zip lock bags, which are in turn put in plastic containers like my friend Ted shows above.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67615 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I went to the dollar store and found some boxes that are just about right. I had a lot more .308 and 30/06 ended up using two boxes. I think I will get 2 or 3 of the larger boxes for the 308 and 06's
Now I think I will look at building a shelf to put them on.
Dave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; I use the shoe box and zip lock bag thing as well. For really high volume stuff like 9mm, they go into 5 gallon buekets.

Posts: 17193 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shocker I guess I'm not too neat !! Eeker roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Lock N Lock, though the plastic shoe boxes work well too.

if you have height use tall boxes if you have shelf space use low wide boxes.

Posts: 6447 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure Ted is really a hand loader. Wink His work space is way to neat. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I'm not sure Ted is really a hand loader. Wink His work space is way to neat. rotflmo

+1 And thanks for making me feel less guilty every time I enter my reloading cave. Big Grin

FWIW. I use ziplock bags, each of which is labeled with case mfg., times fired, what state the case is in (times fired; if sized, neck or FL; trimmed or not; if primed, which primer).

Because I'm really cheap, I store my bags in those flimsy plastic containers salad mixings come in.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look that organized.....I but I can find what I want when I need it. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I do think I need to check into lighter weight plastic boxes and retire my wood ones. probably easier to see what is in them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little buckets with lids; they are quite cheap here bought in a pack of 5 or 10 and certainly cheap by comparison to the brass. Stack easily and useful for handling and loading out of etc. So use one for fired and one for cleaned and tumble from the fired bucket, resize from the clean bucket etc. If number of times fired differs I bag them with a note in the bucket.

I mark them with tape and write the necessary with a marker pen. I'd guess the bucket is a gallon or so, maybe less.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
The boxes I have came from dollar store. With lids. they were $1 each. I went back and picked up 3 more larger boxes and they were $3.50 each including the lid. they are all the same style so they will stack nicely . This will make life so much easier Thanks TED,

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You're more than welcome HV

As I get older I find that I need to leave myself good notes so I can remember the details of why the brass is in these tubs.

This post prompted me to buy 10 more for stock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use empty Folgers plastic coffee cans. They seal well and stack well and are free. Also label them with caliber and how many times they were reloaded.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coffee cans for me also..they stack nice and keep brass in fine shape..I doubt that it makes any difference how you store brass unless your color conscience. Marks-a-lot on top and it can be erased with damp paint thinner or whatever as needed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short coffee cans, tall coffee cans, laundry suds buckets, depends on how much of whatever I have.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote