New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, as you can see I am new here. I just want to pick your brains and see what you think and say hello. I am using a Styer pro hunter in a 7 mag. A 150gr Swift schricco over 68gr of RL 22. My chrono is showing an average speed of 3200fps. Now my book is telling me I am 1/2gr below max. But to me 3200fps out of a 7mag is smoking. I can shoot less than a 1 inch group with this at 100yrds on a bad day. I am set about 1/16 below the lands. I am not getting any normal signs of pressure but the load works but I think its going to kill my rifle. what do you think?

Posts: 27 | Location: WESTMORELAND COUNTY PA | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
3200 fps is not uncommon for a 7mm Rem Mag with a 150gr bullet. I shoot 162gr Hornady SST's and clocking 3117 average through my 7mm. Even though the book says 3000fps as the max load. There isn't any evidence of pressure signs. Bullets velocities can change dramatically with temp., altitude, and barometric pressure and barrel lengths. Reloading books are more a guideline to safety...They are not nessesary exactally truth. I use the rifle only a few times a year..it's not my regular shooter. My wife uses it for moose hunting. It took several hours to sight it in. The barrel would just be blazing hot after a 5 round grouping to allow the barrel to cool.

But the ultimate goal in reloading is to be accurate as hell and ultimately feel safe. If you feel your giving your rifle to much...back it off. You will loose very little backing your velocity to 3000 or 3100 FPS.

Check out bullet ballistic table and contour your bullet's capabilities to your needs. If your needs are greater than your bullets capabilities change bullets completely.

Good luck

Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Sounds like you have a load that shoots well, is fast enough for anything, and that your rifle likes. Don't fool with it - it ain't broke!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... a Styer pro hunter in a 7 mag. A 150gr Swift schricco ...is showing an average speed of 3200fps. ... what do you think?

First off, Welcome Aboard! Always nice to have a new Reloader join the group.

It sounds like you have a "fast barrel" rifle to me. I had one in 7mmRemMag which was an old Ruger, but my current M700 is a "slow barrel". Dosen't really matter to me since it still kills just fine.

One thing you could do to make sure you aren't overloading is to take 3 new cases and load them with your current Load. Shoot them and repeat this sequence to see if you are getting "Loose Primers" after 2-3 shots. If so, I'd back the Load down a bit.

If you get 9-10 loads in them and the Primer Pockets are still snug, you have quite a fine Load/rifle combination. In fact, if that is the situation, I'd go back to where I bought those specific Lots of Primers, Powder and Bullets and try to lay in a supply of the exact "Same Lot Numbers".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You are running a little warmish, but I don't see any reason to be too concerned. The 7mag is notorious for a wide range of published velocities. You are within 75 fps of Alliants recommended speed: a fast lot of powder with soft bullets will explain that.

That said, the 7mag is not known for being easy on barrels. 1000 rounds of that load will probably be about all you get. Then again, that's 1,000 deer, and that's enough for anyone.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe your load with RL-22 is probably right up there at max. If I remember correctly when Remington come out with the 7mm Mag. in the early 60's one of the factory loads was with a 150gr. @ 3240. Then a year or so later they backed off on it some what.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dutch about the warm side. When The Scirocco first came out I had to try and make my own Loads for 7mag and 7Stw with H4831 for the 7mag and Imr 7828 for the Stw. Started with around the 150gr bullet mark on both guns. Was shooting the 139gr for over 34yrs in the 7mag and a 140 in Stw. But Did not pay any attention to the long bearing surface of the Scirocco and the Second time around in both gun's the bolt was stuck and had to use force to try and eject the brass which stuck in both barrel's. It had blew a firing pin hole in both primers and had to use a S-St ram rod to pound out the brass. I was wondering why that second shot from the Stw smoked some from in under the bolt after firing. Had to drop the Stw and 7 Mag loads down to about the 160gr load level. Just watch out for pressure signs. I usually av.3245 to 3260 fps with the 139gr with 69.8grs of H4831 In a 24in barrel. Lucky the big did not get away or was stuck in the MTs with a stuck case in the chamber, or maybe worse

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Your load is probably a bit on the warm side due to the Scirraco's pure copper jacket. If your rifle shows no pressure signs other than your 3200fps, then your're fine. ALL rifles are different, but 150gr @ 3200fps from a 24"bbl. isn't out of the ball park.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch the heat in your barrel. Allow a couple of minutes of cool down between shots when you're sighting in or load testing.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think you are too hot depending on the powder. In my 26" sendero tube,..the FACTORY fed prem 150gr NBT goes at 3180-3190fps (the gold box) We all know the lawyers are playing it safe.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're probably alright with your velocity level, but I don't think I'd goose it up much higher. There's no need to really. I run my 150gr. Noslers at 3000 and that's plenty fast for anything I'm apt to be hunting. Why risk a speedy demise of your barrel for nothing. I look for under 1" of accuracy in my 7mm Rem. Mag. and usually get it at 3000fps. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, great stuff and thanks for all your help. I feel a bit better about the load. When I first ran it threw the chrono I was a bit suprised. I didnt expect that kind of volocity. But like I said it worked. So I didnt know if I was toying with danger or just got a good load. That kind of FPS is not always needed but the two deer that I have shot with it worked out great. Thanks again.

Posts: 27 | Location: WESTMORELAND COUNTY PA | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With Quote