Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbe question
 Login/Join

posted
I am a real green horn and trying to load my first ACP 45s. The two books I have so far do not really give me a warm fuzzy and I wonder if anyone can help me check the data with other books. Since my local supplier was almost out of everything, this is what I ended up with:
Hndy 230G FMJ-RN and Hodgdon universal. My books show 5.1G as low and max of 5.6. and the COLs are different Can anyone confirm?

Also would love to hear what people say are the most accurate bullets/powder for target shooting.
Thank Ken

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
my hodgdon manual from 2007 shows a max of 5.6gr and COL at 1.20". Start at the 5.1 and let em fly. Good Luck

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon site says 5.1- starting load, 5.6 max load and col - 1.20.

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The newest Hornady manual lists an over all length of 1.230" for the fmj rn Hornady bullet. I would start there for length. You may have prolems with feeding if you seat them at 1.200". Mine feed better at 1.260". I use AA #5.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that replied. Makes me feel better knowing my charge is within specs. I checked the COL on some factory ammo and with what appears to be a similar bullet and the COL is quite a bit longer (1.27). This had me concerned (new expensive gun). I will try a small batch with recomended 1.20 and see how they feed.