New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for DPMS LR-308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acquired a DPMS LR-308. I have lots of loaded 308 ammo that I have used in various bolt guns for quite a number of years with excellent results. One preferred load is 48.5 gr of W-748 with 150 grain Nosler bullets and CCI 220 primers. This is not a true max load, but certainly equals factory performance.

My question is the suitability of this powder/ load for the LR-308. I don't load for semi-autos very often, but recall discussion particularly regarding loading for the m-1 Garand, and chosing powders with an appropriate pressure curve so as not to damage the operating rod, etc. I realize the LR-308 uses a different piston system for actuating the bolt, but don't know if there are peculiarities to consider when developing loads for this style of rifle.
Any recommended loads or considerations for this platform?

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
The "hide" seems to have a few DPMS LR shooters.
http://www.snipershide.com/for...list&Board=35&page=1

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's nothing special about loading for the lr-308. use whatever you are used to. i believe my favorite load for mine is the same thing you are using

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LR308 shoots quite well with varget and BLC-2 and 168g SMK's. I'm sure it will be happy with others as well, but I'm only beginning to do work-ups.

The LR-308 doesn't have the same type of gas system and op-rod bending problem that the M1 Garand does, so don't worry about that--but realize that DPMS will tell you it voids the warranty to shoot handloads of any sort as well as certain surplus stuff....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
I recently acquired a DPMS LR-308.

Bill

Did you steal it as well? Perhaps another fake travellers check dodge?

Give it up, Billy Boy.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote