Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 loads for a suppressor
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone load for .223 with a suppressor? How about for .308? Any suggestions?
Thx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it would depend on if your suppressor is all metal inside or has rubber baffles. You could always search it. I'll try that right now...

http://innovativearms.com/aboutus.html

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you mean which loads will result in lower noise from a suppressed gun, not which will be more accurate, etc.

Generalizing: The lower the muzzle pressure, the more effective the suppressor. Both faster powders and longer barrels will result in lower muzzle pressure. Since the length of your barrel is fixed, then your choice would be to move to faster powders. In other words, a load which results in the same chamber pressured and propels a given bullet at X FPS will be a bit quieter if it only requires 20 grains of powder to achieve that velocity than if it requires 25 grains of powder. How much difference going from, say H-335 to, say the faster IMR-4198 might make I have no idea. Theoretically it would make some difference, but whether it would be detectable to the unaided ear I can't say.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I load my .223 for use with a suppressor. I have a Rem 700 26" Varmint bull barrel with a HTG Aris-4 suppressor on it. It is an all metal suppressor with 37db dry suppression.

If you load it for the subsonic speeds it will be very very quiet. Once you get over the speed of sound for your elevation, etc. the bullet will only be suppressed for around 40-50 yards and then the sonic noise will be heard. Good news is that for the shooter you do not need ear protection.

I use very high velocity 40 grain NBT loads around 3900fps and it does make a different noise. Hard to explain what it sounds like although it will get you attention with a "What was that look on your face?" An advantage of the suppression of sound for a short distance is that it makes the "sound trail" broken and thus harder to determine the source of the sound. It's like watching a jet airplane fly over and you hear the sound and follow it forward until you find the jet. I have actually overshot coyotes and had them run towards me as the dirt was kick up beyond them and they have a harder time determining the source of the sound.

This model was also designed for the Military use on the M-4 and is know as a black suppressor meaning that at night it suppresses the muzzle flash also. Not needed for a hunting application but interesting anyway.

They are a hoot to shoot. I highly recommend them.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I load my .223 for use with a suppressor. I have a Rem 700 26" Varmint bull barrel with a HTG Aris-4 suppressor on it. It is an all metal suppressor with 37db dry suppression.

If you load it for the subsonic speeds it will be very very quiet. Once you get over the speed of sound for your elevation, etc. the bullet will only be suppressed for around 40-50 yards and then the sonic noise will be heard. Good news is that for the shooter you do not need ear protection.

I use very high velocity 40 grain NBT loads around 3900fps and it does make a different noise. Hard to explain what it sounds like although it will get you attention with a "What was that look on your face?" An advantage of the suppression of sound for a short distance is that it makes the "sound trail" broken and thus harder to determine the source of the sound. It's like watching a jet airplane fly over and you hear the sound and follow it forward until you find the jet. I have actually overshot coyotes and had them run towards me as the dirt was kick up beyond them and they have a harder time determining the source of the sound.

This model was also designed for the Military use on the M-4 and is known as a black suppressor meaning that at night it suppresses the muzzle flash also. Not needed for a hunting application but interesting anyway.

They are a hoot to shoot. I highly recommend them.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly use standard loads with 62 grain bullets and 26 grains of WC846 (like 748) in my ar-15. My subsonic load is 7 grains of H110 and a speer 70 grain soft point. While it is less noisy than the standard load when used with my silencer, it is no where near as quiet as my suppressed 22lr subsonic rifle.

Even though a standard load in a suppresed ar-15 is still noisy, it can be hearing safe. The subsonic loads have a high arc and drop like a lead ballon past 200 yards.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote