Find
Notify
Tools

.222 remington brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Ok, so I am getting prepared to start loading up some rounds for my 788's in triple deuce. I have brass from remington, federal, frontier, and pmc. Is it okay to mix these different brands or am I asking for trouble.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you weighed them they could be all over the place. I would think your in the ideal situation for loadtesting to use different headstamps for different loads in case you get them mixed accidently.

Once you have a good load you could then try it in all your brass to check it shoots the same.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Its always a good advice to seperate the brass into diffrent batches most commercial brass is fairly consistent with in there own brand.
most problems come from a lot of brass that is heavier and thicker creating higher pressures.
keep them seperated and the best advice is the old rule WHEN YOU CHANGE A COMPONENT REDUCE THE LOAD AND WORK BACK UP.

DAVE

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno - when i was shooting competition i'd go through all the hoops. once i gave than up in favor of blasting crats, PD's etc. i don't pay much attention to mixed cases anymore. I know that i can improve groups etc. but if i have a rifle shooting 1/2" groups, why do i want all the xtra work & fuss when i'd rather be shooting than loading

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Work up a moderate load with the heaviest brand of brass and use it in all of them.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soooo... after reading all your replies, thanks btw. I think I will focus on the remington brand brass. As far as I know it is the only brand out of the bunch that I can purchase.

Edit: I just found PMC brass on Grafs and from the look of it, it is the only brass anyone has in stock. Well that is unless you want to pay out the ass for Norma.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My local Sportsman's Warehouse has both Remington and Winchester brass in .222. If the quantities of mixed brass that have are small you might just use them for mild loads or stash them for later.
If you are serious about working up loads that are near maximum and want to be able to repeat them use new factory brass that is easy to get.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I've had the best case life with Winchester .222 brass, at least since Federal stopped selling their .222 nickel match brass.

On ground squirrel shoots I have a mixture of brass that all gets the same load and shoots the same no matter the brand of case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some approximate case weights. I have not tried mixing them to see the result, but if you have poor results it will be another variable to remove. I would sort them by brand and if you can, use only one brand. Good luck, Peter.

Empty case weights:
88.0 Frontier
88.4 R-P
91.7 SuperX
93.5 WW Super
93.8 Herters
93.8 FC

Posts: 25 | Location: Cramped N Congested in New York | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this is not what George originally looked for (.222 Rem brass at low cost), but we should perhaps not forget what might be the best .222 brass in current production: RWS!

Sadly, it is not cheap. But with Lapua having stopped making .222 Rem brass (how could they?? Mad), the RWS brass is the best I have run into.

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're plinking or shooting sage rats, I like Ireland's idea. Work up your load using the heaviest brass and use it for all the brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GrosVentreGeorge, Pick the brand that you think you will go with and let me know. If it is a brand other than Winchester I can look and see what I have and send them to you. I use Winchester so I don't want to part with those, but any of the others that I have are yours. I may not have a lot, but combined with what you already have it will bet you going. Good luck, Peter.

Posts: 25 | Location: Cramped N Congested in New York | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PeterS, that is truly awesome of you man. I am going with the Remington. I already have several hundred of them and might be able it will be easy to pick up at Sportsman's or Capital if they ever get it in. I would also be interested in PMC if you have any. I can still grab that up from Graf's and Sons.

Sending PM for address and other details that might need to be worked out now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I know this is not what George originally looked for (.222 Rem brass at low cost), but we should perhaps not forget what might be the best .222 brass in current production: RWS!

Sadly, it is not cheap. But with Lapua having stopped making .222 Rem brass (how could they?? Mad), the RWS brass is the best I have run into.

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

- mike

Once shot RWS .222 brass is by far the most common type to be found on German shooting ranges...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Once shot RWS .222 brass is by far the most common type to be found on German shooting ranges...

Yes, I have an almost inexhaustible supply on my range as well. It is one the few advantages (shooting wise) of living in Central Europe... Smiler

I don't strictly need more of the .222 RWS brass, but I somehow can't leave it lying around on the range - call me a junkyard rat, if you must ...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It also depends on your rifle...My 222 will shot eveything to the same POI as far as I know, I just shoot something different all the time on Chucks and Rabbits and I don't miss very often. Every time I check it I dont' have to make any adjustments. I have been told most 222s will do that??????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote