New
Find
Notify
Tools

load for .300 Win Sendero
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one load for the current model Remington Sendero SFII in 300 Win mag.

I ask as I am just now starting to work up loads and do not know fuly where to begin.

The magazine box is very long and will take long seated bullets (presumably set for the RUM cartridges), so too the throat will take bullets seated much farther out than those found normally in factory loads.

Of factory loads tested so far the best shooting one by far was a standard GECO 180 grain soft, which is a regular soft nosed bullet seated fairly short for the calibre.

I intend to develop loads for the 200 grain Accubond and possibly the 180 TSX

Am I better starting close to the lands and moving back from there or am I likely to find better accuracy seated short and away from the lands?

I have unfortuantely limited range time and would welcome the findings of others who may well be using this particular rifle.

I accept that all rifles will vary to a greater or lesser degree but wondered if users of Senderos in particular had noticed any preferences in their own rifles, my rifle is the current model with fluted 26" barrel.

Any findings would be appreciated.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddies all swear by Nosler's 180 grain protected point, a bullet designed especially for the 300s short neck, and a stout charge IMR 7828 sparked by F215s.
I watched that load flatten two elk last season, one a cow at 200 yards, the other a bull at almost 500 yards. All shots passed clean thru those animals, and yes, both rifles were Senderos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckshot

Thanks for the reply.

Is the protected point a different bullet than either the Partition or Accubonds as these and the BT's are the ones I am familiar with?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Tomlinson:
buckshot

Thanks for the reply.

Is the protected point a different bullet than either the Partition or Accubonds as these and the BT's are the ones I am familiar with?

Jonathan,
They are indeed two different bullets, however, they are both 180 grain Nosler partitions. The protected point is part# 25396 and is labeled .308 p. pt., whereas the standard partition is just labeled as a spitzer and carries part# 16331. As I understand it, the protected point was made specifically for the 300 Winchester magnum and its short neck. Both partition bullets are outstanding for the money.

Nosler's Accubond has a single bonded core, and a polymer tip very much like their ballistic tip. I'm working up a load with the 200 grain accubond now, but have nothing to report as hunting season is still two months away. All reports I've read about it are positive, as has been my experience with them.

posted Hide Post
72.5Gr of Rl22, and some 210Gr Berger Match bullets. Seated the bullet .010 off the lands. This load has worked VERY VERY good in 2 300 Win Mag senderos I have reloaded for. One hole groups at 100 if you do your part out of a factory rifle.

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr Nosler Partitions with 75.5 gr of RL-22

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
RL22 is a great powder for the .300 win mag.
I got better accuracy using IMR 4350 with a fickle Sako M75.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 300 Win Mag Sendero that shot quite well with 180gr Partitions and 76grs of RL-22. I never tried 200gr bullets in it but if I did I'm thinking I'd give Retumbo a try..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, haven't tried Retumbo yet but shall be doing so shortly.

In the meantime I shall re try my initial loads with 200 Accubonds and H 1000 but this time seat the bullet to .010" - .015" from the lands and see what improvements that makes, fortunately the long 700 BDL box will accomodate long seated bullets.