THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    First-time loading for the .458WM... little drama and some questions...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First-time loading for the .458WM... little drama and some questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a second-hand M70 .458WM on the way, and the reloading gear has arrived. So I have just started loading some, and this is my first experience with straight walls and the Lee factory crimper. I've loaded one so far, and I have some questions, and some little dramas which I'm hoping some here can shed light upon.

Firstly, I am using the starting load of 70 grains of 2206H for a 500 grain Woodleigh RNSN. It seems that the powder is about 2mm past where the bullet needs to go. Is this normal compression, or huge compression? Would you be happy with that sort of compression as long as you didn't let it sit for months? How many months is too much?

Secondly, there is a slight-though-noticeable bulge on one side where the base of the bullet sits in the case. What causes this? Have I been careless in lining it up for seating? Or is my crimp too tight if the gaps touch? Should I avoid having the gaps touch? I haven't yet got the rifle, so I don't know if it chambers or not. If it does, is it safe to shoot?

Thanks for the education and advice!

Cheers,

Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In an almost straight wall case it is not uncommon to see the bottom of the bullet. If you are using a 3.34" OAL 70grs of 2206H is only about 100% capacity. Your max load shouldn't be more than 104%. Compression in that range shouldn't be an issue.

I've not used the lee crimper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Secondly, there is a slight-though-noticeable bulge on one side where the base of the bullet sits in the case. What causes this? Have I been careless in lining it up for seating?

Above is normal as stated by Ramrod.

Use a 24" drop tube with the .458 WM.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4911043/m/3971076231

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36904 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers!

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've found is the best way to get powder settled in the case when using compressed loads. Take an electric palm sander without any sandpaper and hold the rubber pad against the side of the case. The vibrating will cause the powder to settle in the case. Make sure you keep your finger over the mouth of the case or you will get spillage.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2320 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben, I use the Lee FC die as well, and I have it set so the collet fingers do meet upon crimping, i.e., they do not have any gap left. It should be fine if you are crimping into a cannelure.

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers, fellows. Hopefully the rifle will arrive today!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my .458 Winchester I have found the following procedures have worked well:
I do not flare the case neck. Neck tension suffers. I use a .50 calibre VLD inside neck chamfer tool from Lyman to put a good bevel on the inside of the neck. Seating is a snap.

I use separate dies to seat the solids and softs. The dies are so marked.

I use a Lee Factory crimp die. Seating and crimping at the same time only leads to poor neck tension. The neck likes to bulge a bit.

I anneal the case necks regularly. Neck tension is important. Case life is very long this way.

I debur the flash holes and have found that this adds to consistency.

Cheers!

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon shows a max of 74gr. of H4895. ( which is the powder you are using.) Using 72.5 gr. is usually a nice accurate load. Make sure bullet is centered and bring arm down a wee bit rotate case with other hand push arm a wee bit more rotate and finish seating bullet.
Good Luck
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote