New
Find
Notify
Tools

when to use factory crimp dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello i'm new to reloading and will start in spring.So far i've decided on buying redding dies.I was told by you fine folks to buy the lee factory crimp dies.My question is what type of ammo do i need to crimp all or just ceratain ones???My collection of guns is most of the popular handgun calibers 32acp to 44 mag and most everthing in between my rifles 22hp savage up to 308 win and will have a 308norma mag by the end of the year.Thnx for your help

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
on everything you reload...........for consistency.

it's so nice to be able to set the seating depth separately from seating.

<t_bob38>
posted
I crimp only those that absolutely require it. Relvolver rounds such as .44 mag etc. 30-30 does when used in tubular magazines. In rifle most don't until you get to the heavy kickers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Taper crimp the auto pistol rounds, roll crimp the revolver and tube mag rounds, and don't waste your time crimping the rest.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The only cartridges I've tried the Factory crimp on are bottlenecked pistol cartridges like the
.44-40. It made all the difference. Using the roll crimp die I could not prevent the bullet from being pushed back into the case. I would recommend it for any of these cartridges especially if loaded in a tubluar magazine.

The redding profile crimp brought real uniformity to my .44 mag loads. The ES was cut in half and I've never had a problem with bullet jump.

-M

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are four rules for crimping:

1. Taper crimp auto pistol ammunition (.45 ACP, 9mm, etc.)

2. Factory crimp heavy revolver loads (.357, .44 Mag, .45 Colt +Ps)

3. Factory crimp rounds for tublar magazines (.30-30, etc.)

4. Don't crimp anything else UNLESS you've tried everything else and can't get it to shoot right.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas, deep in the Ozarks | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for your replies.I did'nt want to buy stuff that won't get used as i've already stated buying dies and such this is a big help

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote