New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Scales...Which One?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be purchasing the Lee Anniversary kit this week. I've read a couple comments on the balance-beam type scales that come with this kit. Should I purchase an electronic scale instead. Which is more accurate. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with the Lee kit a few years back and within six months was using a PACT digital scale. Not to say the Lee scale isn't capable of good accuracy, but I found it easier to trickle charges onto the digital scale. For checking the throw weight of a powder measure ocaissionaly the Lee scale is fine.But I prefer to weigh every charge and find the digital better for my purposes.

[ 12-03-2003, 18:38: Message edited by: Borealis Bob ]

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
I just bought a Lyman DPS1200 and it is the first electronic scale I have ever really trusted. The powder dispenser and scale are built together.

The scale pan is covered with a clear plastic cover to keep drafts off the weighing area.

The unit allows you to recover the bulk of the powder with a built in side chute and then comes apart for a complete cleaning.

The thrown charges have been very consistant. I have had to adjust the amount thrown to match the balance scale, but it throws the same charge every time.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

posted Hide Post
Hi .22 Hornet,
The manual beam scales are nice in that they are always ready to go. I've got the RCBS 505 scale and like it a lot. I've also got the RCBS Pro Electronic Scale. It's accurate and fast to use and also responds well to trickling, BUT it needs a good 30 minutes to warm up (especially in the Winter). Most electronic scales require warm up time and if you don't allow them to warm up, well....... you don't want to go there! Once I failed to allow my scale adequate warm up time and ended up spending the better part of an hour and a half sorting things out in order to finally get 50 9mm cases charged. However, if you use these things according to the instructions, they will work well for you.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
RE: Beam Scales

They all will work well, I think. However, based on design and construction, I prefer the Hornady/Pacific scale. It's a really solid unit. I especially like the fact that the 1-grain and 0.1-grain counterweights are much beefier than the flimsy ones on RCBS, Redding, Lyman, etc.

That being said, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Though, I would probably avoid the Lee.

RSY

[ 12-03-2003, 19:46: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are able to, I would go for a Lyman digital. However, I have been very happy with my RCBS 502 beam scale. It's nothing fancy, but does a good job and is very accurate. IMHO, you can't beat it for the price and it will weigh charges, cases or bullets up to 505 grains. Good luck! Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's. I'll try to look at all of your suggestions before I buy.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I've got a PACT digital and a Redding No. 2 Master beam scale. For weighing individual powder charges I much prefer the beam scale. I use a Lee Perfect powder measure to throw a charge a few tenths less than what I want and then trickle the rest. Fast and very accurate with the beam scale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 Hornet,

When I started reloading years ago I saved my pennies and bought an RCBS 10-10 and it has served me very well. I have also purchased a Pact Digital scale and dispensor because I could and because trying to weight cases or bullets, in bulk, on a beam scale is to slow. I also have check weights that I use ocasionally to validate the scales. I recently got a Lee scale, the one with the moveable ball, as part of a bulk deal. It looked new so I decided to check it out. With what I saw I wouldn't use it to load ammo for my worst enemy, wouldn't want to hurt the gun 8-). There was no consistancy with it. If I got it to balance and weight correctly at the low end it was off at the high end and visa versa. I won't even sell or give it to anyone.

Personally, I like the screw adjustment weight (.1 gr adjustment) of the 10-10 and 5-10 scales over the notch placed weight on the Lyman M5 or 5-5 style scales. All of which were manufactured by Ohaus. The difference between these and Lee scale is that any error was consistant from low to high but more important was that that error could be adjusted out or corrected where I was unable to do that with the Lee.

Buy a RCBS, Lyman, Redding or any other scale and forget the Lee. Then later if you feel you have the need buy a digital later. Spendig the big bucks now is not the time. I have seen to many folks decide reloading is not for them and end up selling their equipment for a loss.

Just my 2 cents,

[ 12-06-2003, 03:42: Message edited by: Byron ]

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I have prefer my RCBS 10-10 and 5-10 scales for weighing powder loads, and I have a Hornady digital, which I use for weighing cases and bullets. I think the digital is a little weird about that last 1/10th of a grain.
Regards, George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Agree with the RCBS 10-10 or 5-10 being hard to beat. The magnetic dampening takes a little while to get used to and figure out as it will hold a "hair" high or low if you making small adjustments.

[ 12-06-2003, 09:20: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 10-10. I also have a Dillon electronic (older version) that is dead-on.

quote:
That being said, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Though, I would probably avoid the Lee.
Ditto on Lee.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things about a scale - first, accuracy, b) sensitivity, and lastly repeatability = I guess that's three. Anyway, drop a 1/4 inch square of plain bond paper on the working side (the pan). It should move. I have a Redding, a Lyman, and 2 RCBS scales and they all work okay. Also a Dillon dterminator I like really well for weighing boolits. sundog

[ 12-07-2003, 04:26: Message edited by: sundog ]

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
IMO: avoid the screw type fine adjustment - takes forever to go from one extreme ("0") to the other ("10" gr). Movable poise type is easier & quicker. Magnetic damping is helpful, but the scale is less sensitive. IF you want max. sensitivity you can remove the magnets from some scales.

IMO

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohaus 10/10. I THINK they also make the hornady scales. Question: if you have a electronic scale, does the minor power surges like are common in West Virginia affect the readings or dispensations? Maybe a dumb question but inquiring minds would like to know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you have a electronic scale, does the minor power surges like are common in West Virginia affect the readings or dispensations?
I haven't had any problems with my Dillon, but the PACT scale/dispenser I owned (breifly) gave me fits anytime a major appliance cycled on or off. Someone mentioned using a voltage transformer to eliminate the problem.

Eddie