Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224---.227 bullete 22/hi power
 Login/Join

posted
Can you or has anybody ever tried to increase bullet diameter from.224 to .225.226.227 with several coats of moly spray ?????
22/hi power

ok

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Aboard!

MOS2 will not perform as you are thinking because the "Shear Strength" is extremely low. That is one property that allows it to work so well as a Lubricant.

In order for Moly to actually work well, it needs to be Peened onto the surface of the Bullet. I've not tried the spray on coatings because they can't attach to the Bullet the way I want them to.

Moly works well in High Pressure Bearing applications, because the Pressure forces it to adhere to the steel, but slip over itself with extremely low friction and drag.

I seem to remember Speer making 0.227" bullets, but I've not looked in a very long time. However, there are a good many Custom Bullet manufacturers that could turn out the Bullet of your dreams. Just takes $$$. You should be able to locate them in issues of either Rifle or Handloader.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many people report good results using .224 bullets in their HiPowers. I'm pig headed about it and insist on using proper diameter bullets. Unfortunately, the only domestic production of .227/.228's is from Hornady and Buffalo Arms Co. Hornady 70 grainers are too long to stabilize in the 1-12" twist of the Savage. Accuracy sucks, which seems to be a universal opinion. The Buffalo bullets come in 55, 60 and 70 grain weights. The 55 and 60 grainers shoot ok but are kind of thin-jacketed for deer IMO. My solution was to make a file trim die to shorten the Hornady bullet .010" which gives surprisng accuracy out of my old Savage 1899 Takedown (3-4" groups down to 1 1/4- 1 1/2" and sometimes less- with aperture sights), while losing only 2 gr. of weight. The tougher jacket of the Hornady I feel gives a slight edge over other makes. (The old Speer and Sisk 70 gr. bullets were great, but both are only found occsaionaly at gun shows- no longer made.) I have made a bunch of these dies for HiPower shooters. If you want help making the gun shoot, PM me.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote