New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which gives the best results?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which do you feel gives the best results in term of finished product.
Full length sizing using a one die does all(brand name not necessary),or a two step process such as body size first , then neck size as a separate stage?
I think I'm going to try ten rounds of each in my Mod 70 308 and compare.Any feedback would be appreciated
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robz:
Which do you feel gives the best results in term of finished product.
Full length sizing using a one die does all(brand name not necessary),or a two step process such as body size first , then neck size as a separate stage?
I think I'm going to try ten rounds of each in my Mod 70 308 and compare.Any feedback would be appreciated
rob

Full length sizing using a one die does all(

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Robz
What works for me is using Lee's universal decapping die, the a Redding sizing die with the decapping/expanding stem removed, and using a Lyman 'M' die to expand the neck to a diameter that I have determined as being best for that rifle/caliber.
The process is adjusted for specific rifle actions. The 7.62 NATO in the AR10 gets a very tight neck and minimal flare with the 'M' die so that the the bullet gets seated with a tight grip, then with a taper crimp die the case mouth flare is ironed out.
With the 30-06 in a Winchester 95 there is still a minute amount of case mouth flare that can be felt, with the finished round. The tight grip in the bullet shank is what holds it rather then a crimp. Should mention I'm shooting 208 grain cast bullets at jacketed bullet velocities.
The 25-06 in a Remington 700 gets the same treatment as the cast bullet 30-06, except I'm using 100 grain hollow points.
Should point out that the loaded round with the slight case mouth flare can be seated in the chamber with finger pressure. The only indication of the mouth flare is a slight scraping sensation as the round gets close to being fully chambered.
Another point all cases are trimmed to uniform length each time they are reloaded.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I get the best results from a 2 step process using the Lee Collet Neck Sizer first and then a Redding Body Die. The reason I use the collet die first is because I have had the collet die create a slight crush fit in cases I wanted to neck size only, the body die will then get rid of it.

I will neck size only as long as possible and start using the body die when necessary. Using a full length die with an expander ball is always the last choice and only in calibers where the other 2 dies are not available.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best process for accuracy:
1) Decap with Lee decapping die, it is stronger.
2) Imperical sizing wax rubbed on outside of case
3) Resize with FL Redding "S" die with decapper stem removed. Choose bushing that results in brass inside neck diameter .002" smaller than bullet.
4) prime and charge
5) Seat bullet with Forster seater die. Seat bullet long so it will jam into lands.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
W A G Theory: Guess one is better. Rational is that less working of the brass, and greater concentricity wold be expected product. Longer brass life and a more meaningful relationship with your loved ones. Using two dies leads to having a GF on the side. Wink

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob

What is "best" is like beauty. It is all in the eye of the beholder. I am a Benchrest shooter and what I, and many of my compatriots, use is a set of two dies. The first is a combination neck size/shoulder bump die using bushings. The second die is used only when needed and is usually a Redding body die that sizes nothing but the body. Those, with a straight line seater, is what I use for all my cartridges, even my 30-06 hunting rifle.(it becomes habit forming). Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote