Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM game Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
somewhat late but still got it.Zero Drift's note comparing N Partition Golds to regular Partitions.Looking at bullet pictures I think ZD's comments are right on target and so I am greatful for the idea.
To benefit everyone though and maybe expand the entries,I like to rephrase the problem:
What are the best 300 RUM bullets for game?
To make it useful,lets distinguish category 1:deer/antelope/sheep around 165 gr
2:elk/ ? bear around 180 gr

I had built a 300RUM full of enthusiasm based on the flatter trajectories,little did I consider the new problem of finding a suitable bullet for the new wider energy envelop.At the high energies <~250y most bullets either may splatter or cause(unsightly) large holes.The solid copper bullets will not do this but shed their petals and pencil thru.A little more expansion would be nice.
Given these thoughts/experiences in situations where I have only 1 shot,I chose to err on the side of making a small mess,meaning chosing some expansion over solids that pencil thru.Accuracy at range of course needs to come first.The bullet has to get there before it needs to work.
SO again what are opinions /experiences at 300-500y c 300RUM?
For sheep/deer the Sierra GK,N Ballistics might be the most accurate ,BUT cause maybe a mess?
Solids will be clean but expansion is less than desired.
Happy medium? Nosler partitions or Partition Golds?
I have not heard anything farorable of the Failsafes,they are as finicky as Barnes

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya!

First, don't worry about the X-Bullets "pencilling through" at RUM velocities as that has not been my experience with them in 30 calibler. The last few deer and antelope I've taken have been with the 130 XBT launched at over 3660 with my 300 WIN. They leave exit holes you could practically drive a Volkswagon into...trust me, no problem there! While I'm confident the 150's and 165's would perform just fine on deer/antelope at RUM velocities, I see no reason to go that light with this round. In fact they will probably cause more "(unsightly) large holes" than the 180's. The 180's will shoot flat as you'll ever need at these velocities. If you're shooting at ranges where trajectory even becomes a factor, you had better be using a rangefinder and clicking your scope in which case it doesn't matter how much the bullet drops. Since the 180's will buck the wind better, they are the obvious choice, close or long range. If the 180 XBT/XLC is accurate enough I'll use it without hesitation on anything I'll be hunting in the near future.

That said, X bullets have only given me "OK" accuracy in the past. I'll be upping my accuracy requirement for this year. I hope the XLC's can do it (I've never tried the coated ones before). If not, I'll be trying other bullets. So which other bullets to try?

I really wanted to try some GS Custom HV's but procrastination got the best of me and I didn't order them in time. Maybe next year.

If I was going after Elk or bigger this year, I'd be ordering some 200 North Forks today. I really like that design. The Bear Claws are very similar in design so I would expect similar results but I don't know if they are available for reloading or not yet.

I will try the A-Frames one of these days....

I've used the 200 Partitions in my 300 Win before and at those velocities they would blow off the front core and end up with a very small expanded diameter...at RUM velocities I'd like something a bit tougher (although I have no doubt it would get the job done, I'd just like a bit more weight retention and a bit more frontal area). Too bad they don't make the Gold in 200.

Unfortunately, the Woodleighs were apparently designed for 300 Win velocities, so they might be a bit soft for the big stuff at RUM velocities. Since I have no experience with them I'd wait for somebody else to try them first at warp 9....

Those are all the "Big Toughies" I've been considering so far....

Since I'll only be after deer this year, that's where my focus has been lately. I want a bullet that won't blow up, has a high BC and is accurate at long range. It doesn't need to be as tough as those above.

If the XLC is accurate enough, it qualifies for this use also. However, I think its advertized BC a bit hard to believe. I will be checking actual drop out to 7 or 800 yds this summer to check (again, assuming it's accurate enough to hit the target at those ranges).

While the Sierra 200 SBT Gameking would probably work just fine for a proper shot on a deer, I think I'd like something a bit tougher and/or heavier in case of a poor angle at close range. Damn I wish they made a 220 or 230 or 240...I think this is where the advantage of the RUM case realy lies....

I might give the 180 Scirrocco a try. I've heard of accuracy problems in the past but hopefully that was a quality control issue that's been taken care of by now.... There's only one way to find out--buy a box and shoot them! They have a high BC and while they may be a bit soft for something like an elk with a poor angle shot at RUM velocities, they should be devistating on deer. They should open up reliably WAY out there as well. We'll see if they're accurate....

Last but not least, I will be buying a "big ol' box" of 240 Matchkings.... I'll be doing a lot of target shooting at long range and that's always much more fun when you're using the most accurate bullet you can find for the ranges you're shooting at. And who knows, if they really shoot that much better than the others, pass a few penetration/expansion tests...I just might use them "when it counts." Call me crazy, but I don't think a 240 grain bullet at a medium velocity needs to be of controlled expansion design to kill a Whitetail.... Oh, but that's "a whole 'nother thread," ain't it?

Those are just my misc. ramblings on the subject since I've been giving it some thought lately.... Just wanted to kick-start the thread.

So many bullets to try, so little time.... Anybody else have ideas?

All just my humble opinion.... Feel free to flame away!!!

[This message has been edited by Jon A (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I have used 180 Swift Sciroccos and the 180 Nosler Partition on game with great results! No problems. Just bought a new SAKO 75 in 300 RUM Mag. I will try the sciroccos and the 180 partition. I will use either for all game

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"
Iraklion@msn.com

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Barnes X in my 300 Rum. The Swift A frame is also very good

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote