THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 94 .307 and .356 Bullets?
 Login/Join

posted
Would it be safe to reload for the .307 using Nosler Partition .30 caliber 170 grain round nose bullets?Also would it be safe using Hornady's LeverEvolution .35 caliber bullets in the .356.I've heard that only flat point bullets are to be used.Any advise would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a Win 73 357 Mag that was useing round nose bullets in 38Spl. cases that had the magazine tube open up when 5 rds. went off. I would stick w/ flat nose or LeverEvolution in the mag. You could uses any type of bullet in a case if it is loaded directly in to the chamber but you had better not get it mixed in with the rds. that you put in mag.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Speer makes an excellent 220 gr FP ideal for the .356 Winny.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Our 170 grain Round Nose Partition bullet was designed specifically for the .30-30" (tubular magazine) . . . Nosler Reloading Guide Fifth Edition.

So yes, tubular magazine rifles are what this bullet is made for. Hornady designed the Leverevolution bullet for the same purposes -- safety and non-deformation in tubular magazines.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
"Our 170 grain Round Nose Partition bullet was designed specifically for the .30-30" (tubular magazine) . . . Nosler Reloading Guide Fifth Edition.

So yes, tubular magazine rifles are what this bullet is made for. Hornady designed the Leverevolution bullet for the same purposes -- safety and non-deformation in tubular magazines.

Would the increased recoil of these two calibers make for a greater chance of detonating in the magazine tube,if I were to use either of these bullets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the 160 gr .30 cal FTX and the .35 cal FTX would be perfect for M94 in .307 and .356.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have used spitzer style, NON-HP OR FMJ, bullets in lever guns for 50 odd years...one in the chamber, one next in line and the very last one in the mag(the first one into the mag tube)...all the rest were FP's if I loaded over 4 rounds...

Which was not often...all the extra rounds do is weight down a perfect handling lightweight shooter and if 3 isn't enough you need practice.

I've heard stories and saw a few blowups that were purported to be caused by pointed bullets but NEVER read WHAT BRAND of bullet caused the screw up OR if it was actually caused by a pointy bullet or not...mostly Pete and RePete working overtime or Mr. Konjecture spouting off.

That being said I will ONLY RECOMMEND USING FP, NON FMJ bullets in ANY tubular magazine weapon.

Beside unless you do your load workup to get an accurate load and use a scope...FN bullets are all you need for the ranges the 30-30 was designed and useful for.

Within 150 yds a nice FN with a BIG meplat just seems to do all the work needed for gathering in a nice tasty spike deer, although I like the Speer 220 gr FN and keep a full tube loaded up in my Marlin 356 Win all the time. I also have tried Beartooth's 210 and 250 gr LFN's with good success.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
odd, most jacketed bullets designed for the 30-30 have a rounded nose profile.
at least the powerpoint,hornady's,and speers i have in the gun room are.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote